• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

How long after castration can he have a girlie friend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm about to have my boar (approx 9 months old) castrated so he can have a lady friend without the risk of babies.

My question is how long after the op is it safe to get him a girlie? I know with bunnies they advise at least 6 weeks (I put mine together after he'd healed and his hormones subsided as she had been spayed 5 months previously).

So, I'll soon also be on the look-out for a resuce lady of a similar age to be his companion. Are guineas as challenging to bond as bunnies can be? Would a rescue do it for me?

3 - 4 weeks is what I have been told by the vets and people on the forum. Some have put them in earlier but it really does depend on the wound and weather it has healed etc. You will also need to keep an eye on him for a while and keep him on towels or sheets etc so no hay or wood shavings etc get near his bits. Hope this helps ;)

6 wheeks :o :o why is this I was thinking of letting digby in with the girls next week as the poor love is looking very board!

I'm pretty sure you can unleash him! ;D I'm just a miss worry fanny! ;D

PerfectPiggies said:
I'm pretty sure you can unleash him! ;D I'm just a miss worry fanny! ;D
lol ;D ;D ;D

you worried me for a minute ;D ;D

I have been told 2 weeks. I know several people on here who have had numerous boars neutered & then put them with sows with no unplanned litters to date! Up to you but go with what you feel 'safe ' with.

Oh hils have you done this? Digby has been out on the grass this past 2 days and has been fine he is totally board inside in the small hospital cage :( I am just concerned about the megazorb and hay getting around his bits etc

No I haven't personally done this because the 2 other boars who I have had castrated were to go in with another persons sows & the time turned out to be longer than 2 weeks. But as I have said I know of someone who has used the 2 week gap with about 5 pigs I would say with no babies as a rule. I would say that the general idea is 3 weeks though....

yes 3 weeks for me too,Charlie was just introduced to toffee after a 3 week wait.

Well digby is coming up to the 3 week mark so I am thinking of introducing them. Do you think I need to leave him in if he gets on ok or take him out and just let him build up to moving in perment.

i let them have floor time for a few days at first, i was gonna do this for a week, but after 3 days all was going well so they went in together, There was loads of chasing initially, felt sorry for toffee,they have been in together for a week now, still chasing going on but nothing like in the beginning.
hope the introductions go well
X PaulaX

Well I will give them ago so to speak on wednesday as that will be dead on 3 wheeks hopefully all will be ok!

3 weeks minimum. I normally wait another week or two though to let the hormones calm down. A neutered boar and a sow are most of the time easy to bond, providing you follow the correct steps. A rescue should help you with introductions if you so wish. :)

I've had around 50 pigs done and always put them in after 2 wheeks. I've never had any probs with unwanted litters or sows that have been worried too much, or boars making themselves sore...The sperm needs to dry up and then its impossible for them to make anymore anyway... CCT recommend 2 wheeks.

I was recommended 1 wheek for a bun but thought it too soon and enquired further. My local rescue leave it 2 wheeks before putting castrated bucks in (though they said they probably could go in sooner... Like someone said, a whole different species ::)

But... we have some excellent surgeons here who leave very small wounds- I couldn't believe the size of the Bun wound! They recover in next to no time and I have never had any problems post op.

2 Wheeks Friday and Monty and Freddie will be with Girlies, I think they've got rid of their sperm already though just watching the girlies!

Re hormones calming down, I've found they don't calm down till they've been with the sows and realise that she's not going anywhere, but all boars are different.
Let your boar choose his sow, some pairings don't go well at all. Last wheek I had a bullied boar out here (bullied by sows) but he soon chose himself a lady friend and they're living happily together now :)

Digby went in with the girls today this morning and then this afternoon, it was ok but he was chattering his teeth which worried me and one of my girls absolutely doesnt want to know. Tilly chases him amber tollerates him. He did a little bottom sniffing and then went into the pigloo and stayed there not sure what he thinks, when I went up to the run I called him and he came running over and sat by me. Should I just keep putting them in the run together until they get used to one another?

Only you can judge, but put him in for 10 minutes (or less if WW3 breaks out ::) ) for the first wheek then gradually increase the time. One of the girls may be in season which would explain her behaviour. You might find things change over the next couple of days. I'm very lazy and if they don't hit it off from the word go I try a different sow- but then I do have a few to choose from.

My boars sniff bottoms then wash eyes if they approve of the sow xx0

if it hasn't been love at first sight then take it slowly, i was lucky charlie and toffee hit it off straight away. if you take it slow hopefully all will be fine soon enough.
x paula x

Agree with both maisydaisystar and Karen. Take it slow. Keep us updated on how they and you get on. :)

I believe 3 weeks is ok for all traces of sperm to have died off and recuperation from the op :)

Anyone know of a rescue in the NW(ish - willing to travel) UK that will let George go speed dating with some of their girlies once he's snipped and recovered?

I could probably get a vet reference, they know I care well for my pets :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back