How hard to rehome?!

Darlz

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’ve contacted 4 rescues locally, all of which apparently get “overrun” with animals. I’m trying to rehome a boar for my singleton, does anyone want to actually rehome one? Two rescues said they can’t help, one pointed me in the direction of the one I originally adopted from (I don’t trust her completely, even so, I’ve contacted her), but she never replies. I’ve given details to the Kit Wilson Trust. Nothing back from them either.
I could easily buy one from a pet shop or a breeder, could probably get one tomorrow, but I don’t want to do that at all! I want to rehome another rescue! It’s proving stupidly difficult though!

How long have you been trying to find a friend for your single piggy? It’s not always a quick process.

Did the two you contacted say why they ‘couldnt help’? Was it that they don’t have any available or suitable piggies?

Its also worth bearing in mind that at this time of year some rescues will stop adoptions to prevent animals being homed as Christmas presents

All I can suggest is to try and get your name on their waiting lists. It is frustrating as I have been there myself but it can be a long process. I was on the waiting list for at least a year for two rescues I tried but in the end, I was lucky enough to rehome two piggies from a member on here. Like @Piggies&buns has said, a lot of rescues stop adoptions at this time of year so you may need to wait now until the new year

Not sure how hard rehoming is in EU but here in the states pigs aren’t common at rescues atleast when I was looking. Took me about a month to find my boys. There was also a set of females but I opted for boars. My boys were bonded already too.

I hope you can find a suitable match for your piggy. Best of luck!

How long have you been trying to find a friend for your single piggy? It’s not always a quick process.

Did the two you contacted say why they ‘couldnt help’? Was it that they don’t have any available or suitable piggies?

Its also worth bearing in mind that at this time of year some rescues will stop adoptions to prevent animals being homed as Christmas presents
It's been a month, but feels like much longer!

I got the impression that one wanted me to neuter mine to be in with a chance of re homing (I will consider this if time ticks on for him). The other gave no reason really, although on her FB page she seems to rehome boars with sows.

I'll have to be more patient I suppose. I just feel bad for my lonely piggy.

A month is a short time when it comes to finding a new friend via a rescue.
It is becoming fairly common that rescues will wants boars neutered - obviously to stop the risk of piggies being used for breeding but also because boar/sow bonds tend to be more stable

Could you look a little further afield? Some rescues do offer boar bonding but it is time consuming for the rescue staff. There is a guinea pig rescue Little Wheekers in Bristol that offers residential boar bonding, they are on our rescue list. You drop your boy off and they should be able to find a friend for him and bond them while he’s there. Takes all the stress out of buying another piggie and the bond failing

A friend of mine was having similar difficulties or rescues only had young boars when she wanted an older one. She ended up adopting from the Blue Cross, which is somewhere I often forget even exists! I'm not sure if they'll have any piggies near you, but one to consider. They were apparently very good to work with, providing change over food and a complete set of the boars medical history with them from their vet.

Could you look a little further afield? Some rescues do offer boar bonding but it is time consuming for the rescue staff. There is a guinea pig rescue Little Wheekers in Bristol that offers residential boar bonding, they are on our rescue list. You drop your boy off and they should be able to find a friend for him and bond them while he’s there. Takes all the stress out of buying another piggie and the bond failing
I adopted Pretty Patsy from Little Wheekers. She was a lovely girl. When Patsy decided her time had come to cross over to The Rainbow Bridge, Lesley (the owner of Little Wheekers) got in touch and said that there were a few piggies looking for new homes and would I like to try and see if a bond would work out with my remaining 2 girls? Unfortunately, I had to turn her down because it wasn't the right time for me to be taking on a new piggy. It turned out that it was the correct thing for me to do, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to adopt Thea and Lexi. Why not contact Little Wheekers and see if there are any piggies looking for new homes?

I adopted Pretty Patsy from Little Wheekers. She was a lovely girl. When Patsy decided her time had come to cross over to The Rainbow Bridge, Lesley (the owner of Little Wheekers) got in touch and said that there were a few piggies looking for new homes and would I like to try and see if a bond would work out with my remaining 2 girls? Unfortunately, I had to turn her down because it wasn't the right time for me to be taking on a new piggy. It turned out that it was the correct thing for me to do, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to adopt Thea and Lexi. Why not contact Little Wheekers and see if there are any piggies looking for new homes?
I agree, piggies generally travel well too as long as they have plenty to eat and are nice and cosy!

I seem to have nudged the messages through the ether by typing on here, the original rescue got back in touch! Charlie can go for a bonding visit on Wednesday :)
Hope he will be ok.

(Further afield is difficult, I have an electric car with quite a short range)

Back