• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

How do you know if they are ill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
what are the signs of illness in piggies How do I take a piggies temperature?

I hope Digby isn't poorly!
I would say the first obvious signs are lack of interest in food, a change to poo, and lethargy. I didn't take Desmonds temp last week but I knew he had a temp as he was burning as he sat in my lap.

What does their poo look like and would you say that digby leaving half his veggies is a worry he is falling a sleep on my lap to which is unusual for this time of day he usually wants to run around I cant see anything wrong with his bits as in no blood or open wound it is a bit mucky as in poohy but thats it

Anything that is abnormal to the guinea pig. Change in appetite, toileting, activity, behaviour etc. Who do you think is unwell? Why do you think they are unwell? :( :)

It isn't long since his op though is it so it is possible he could have an infection... I hope not but might be worth keeping an eye on. Just because you can't see anything with the wound, doesn't mean it isn't infected (learnt this the hard way with Desmond.) Does it look or feel swollen?
Their poo should be firm and normal size. I notice when mine are ill their poo is smaller... prob cos they don't eat as much.
Does he usually eat all his veggies? Piggies usually just wat til they're full so I wouldn't worry unless he usually gobbles them all up.

Don't worry but what I will say is this: If you have the slightest incling that he is ill then I would trust your instinct and take him to vet tomorrow.

Digby he made this funny noise twice today really unusual, but he has been wheeking for his food etc although he has left some veggies but it maybe that he doesnt like them etc he ate the cucumber no probs lol but now he is sat on my lap he usually wants to go investigate at this time of day?? had to be today when vets is closed I dont want to call a vet out for nothing but I am a little worried too i think I will let him be for a hour and then take it from there. His bits dont look sore or inflamed and there is no blood just a bit unclean .

EmmaJ said:
Don't worry but what I will say is this: If you have the slightest incling that he is ill then I would trust your instinct and take him to vet tomorrow.

The best advice that can be given. O0

I would just keep a very close eye on him. O0 What sort of sound? ?

Ringing vet now he just made a retchy like movement and noise not normal I think!

He was on Baytril wasn't he Lisa? Have you used it all? Maybe he is just having a lazy bank holiday ;) Try to take him to the vet tomorrow hun even if it is just to put your mind at rest. And if he seems to get any worse tonight then go today. Don't worry about bothering the vet.
Oh, and it has been a couple of weeks since his op, so I don't think his wound should look dirty (I'm no expert but the vet said it should look pretty much healed after a week.) Could be a sign of something...?

Good luck love. Is it just pigs who's names begin with D that have these problems...? I'm beginning to think so!

I think ringing the vets would be best, by the sounds of it you are quite sure something is not right. Let us know what the vet says. O0

Rang vets earlier they said they reckon it is something unrelated to the op so may cost me 60 quid as it out of hours ::) So I said as He is still eating chomping away now as type lol I would monitor him until tomorrow but if he should change dramticaly then I will take him in. Then I got to thinking that maybe he was coughing as I have just put one of those spray air fresheners in the room where he is, I totally forgot so I think he was reacting to that as I got shot of it and he is fine just a little tired. Will be keeping a close eye on him though ;)

That may of been the problem. I am glad he seems to be better, defiantly keep a close eye on him. O0

dazie said:
Ringing vet now he just made a retchy like movement and noise not normal I think!

Ton does a movement like that when he gets food stuck in his teeth.

Awww poor Digby, such a worry to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back