• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

How do you know if piggies are sleeping?

Laura_Deakin

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How do you know if piggies are asleep? They sleep with their eyes open so I never know.. but they sometimes curl in a ball or sit next to each other and they rest their heads on the towel and are very still.. but it’s never for very long.. maybe 10 mins or so?

They will be sleeping/resting. They don’t sleep for long at a time. My two tend to just go off into their huts and sit still, they may lay down probably yawn and then be up and bouncing around a short while later!

Carys has just been woken up from a little nod by the camera. You can usually spot a piggy by the far away look in the eyes.
IMG_8103_edited-1.jpg

Barri is fast asleep and dead to the world!
IMG_8104_edited-1.jpg

Beryn is very tired. Guinea pigs will close their eyes when asleep only when they feel totally safe and/or are totally exhausted.
IMG_8107_edited-1.jpg

Lovely sleepy piggies! The "melting" and "chooken leg" thing normally give them away :) first time I saw mine lying down eyes closed sleeping I thought they were dead and had a panic attack lol...

Haha yeah know what you mean!
My Jessie (avatar pic) is pretty much deaf so scares me all the time! Rupert jumps at side of cage when hears a good noise but she'll be flat out! Then suddenly flies up like a nutter to my relief!

You can usually tell mine by the fact that they are flopped down with their legs to the size and don't pay any attention when people go past (if they're awake, they usually pay attention to the humans.) One of my pigs reliably slept with her eyes closed (she was pretty fearless about people and was the tyrant queen of the other pig, so she probably figured nothing was EVER going to mess with her and felt supremely confident all the time!) but the others generally have their eyes at least half open.

I had one who i thought had died a few times. He was old and it scared the hell out of me

I had one who i thought had died a few times. He was old and it scared the hell out of me

I've had a few of them, including Barri in that picture in my post.

PS: Before you panic, always please check for signs of breathing first!

I've had a few of them, including Barri in that picture in my post.

PS: Before you panic, always please check for signs of breathing first!
Yea i should have. After a few seconds he knew i was there , but it scared him aswell. Yes he looked like barri does, and sometimes his eyes just looked dead.

As a general rule, if the pig cage was quiet, Comet was asleep. He slept with his eyes closed a fair bit, but honestly the biggest giveaway was the lack of noise. Blitzen very rarely slept if a human was in the room, but if he did, he'd be lying a little on his side. If he was awake, he'd lie on his belly.

Edited to add: the trick is to watch them. If they don't sleep with their eyes closed, watch what their "normal" behaviour is and what they do when it changes. It's a good idea to do that anyway to watch out for any potential health problems, but they sleep relatively regularly, so it's easier to spot when they're sleeping after a while.

Last edited:
Back