How do you introduce piggys to each other?

• Thread starter Thread starter Nishka
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nishka

Hi everyone,

I am quite new to the forum and I have fallen in love with a lone piggy... a young female. I am very tempted to get her and try and find a friend (another female obviously!) from a rescue etc because I know she would benefit from some company etc.

I don't have any experience of introducing guineas to each other (only rats!- neutral territory, clean out cage etc)- is it usually easy? What do I have to do to make things successful?

Thanks so much

Nancy :)

Hi i suggest you let them play together first or introduce them slowly like put a barrier up between them whilst their playing so they can see and smell each other then gradually lift up the divider. They should be fine as they are females but with males that would be a different matter - Let us know when you get another piggy and how they get on as they should be absolutely fine.

If you are concerned still maybe you can take your piggy to the place where you think your gonna get a new piggy from and see if the piggy you chosen likes your piggy whilst your at the rescue and so on. O0

Thanks for the advice.

I haven't actually got either of them yet! lol - I am investigating.. I saw the lone piggy earlier today and I wish I had got her and now I am thinking I should go back and get her and try and find her a friend.

What happens with boys then? Just out of interest! :)

Well if they werent bought up together then they may teeth chatter and fight ::) Boys hey - And yes id definitely get girls as they seem to get along fine no matter what O0

::) Well I guess boys we will boys whatever the species eh? lol

I am definitely going to get girlies I think.

Ta for that :)

Hi Nishka,

Well I have boys & have had no problems. :) I had two who had been together since they were born, then when one died in April I arranged to take Murran along to a rescue & try him with another male pig to see if they would get along & it worked out right from the start! It does depend on the personalities of the pigs but generally with females its easier as iloveanimals has said.

My boys were introduced at the rescue, then I took them home in the same carry case (had a spare with me just incase!) They were then put straight in together. I had sterilized the cage, (including the bars), dishes, etc. with baby sterilizing fluid & in they both went! O0

Good luck with getting the little lone girl & a friend for her ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back