• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

How do you find a good vet?

• Thread starter Thread starter guineafriend
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

guineafriend

My piggies are ok and well at the moment and tough wood will never have to visit the vets 8) but in preparaton....... how do you find a good vet?
Do you just walk in and ask what experience they have with guineas?
Are there certain questions that I should ask to judge them?

I always find recomendation is the best way to go.

I agree, if you post your location, chances are someone else on the forum can recommend their tried and tested vet. Failing that, there are some recommended vets at the top of the health and illness board. Dont be afraid to phone them up and ask what experience they have with guinea pigs, how many they have treated and success rates. On the Peter Gurney official site, there is a vetwatch section which is worth a read :)

I'm about 8 miles north of Coventry. I read through the recomended section but nothing on there local to me.
Anyone know of any?

I would recommend using a vet that a rescue use- if nothing else it at least means they see lots of guineas. Do check that they are successful too though :) When I move a good vet will be first on list, really dreading it!

You don't always need one thats good, just one thats willing to listen. Our surgery was pants until I asked CCT to do a lecture there and they were shown how to do teeth and xrays without anaesthetic. Now I let a couple of them castrate my rescue boys (wouldn't before) because they do ops the CCT way and use the correct painkillers and dosages.

Sooo, find your local guinea rescue and go from there, but do ask a few questions still :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back