How do they know?

Tonisita

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've been reading that guineas have no vomit reflex, so they learn what's safe from older members of the group. That said, how do my little boys fare, when they left the breeders at 8 weeks? Would a lack exposure to older guineas explain why sometimes when I offer them something new they turn their furry little noses up but later go back and cautiously start to eat? My boys like an afternoon nap!

Attachments

• 20231201_095345.webp
    20231201_095345.webp
    34.6 KB · Views: 4
If it keeps turning up in their cage, or is left there for some time, chances are they'll eventually try it. New stuff is scary, but it doesn't always stay new.

Also in an attempt to convince Comet and Blitzen they could eat spring greens, I ate their spring greens in front of them. I don't know if it worked because they trusted it or if it worked because how dare I eat the food offered to them, but it still worked lol.

Hey, it still worked! It was also the first time I'd ever eaten spring greens and really, they weren't bad at all.

If it keeps turning up in their cage, or is left there for some time, chances are they'll eventually try it. New stuff is scary, but it doesn't always stay new.

Also in an attempt to convince Comet and Blitzen they could eat spring greens, I ate their spring greens in front of them. I don't know if it worked because they trusted it or if it worked because how dare I eat the food offered to them, but it still worked lol.
I like your psychology! I tried them with dried pears and no dice. Then I chopped them up and that was a different story! Too lazy to chew!

Back