• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

How do indoor piggies get lice?

• Thread starter Thread starter jom
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jom

Hi all,
I keep my piggies inside and have just been checking them over and on two of them i can see little brown/red bits in their fur. I am guessing these are lice eggs but i cant see any actual lice on them. I'm going to order some gg lice n easy now. What amazes me though is where did they come from. My piggies havnt been outside in mths because of the cold weather and i check them alot so they could have only picked it up in the last few days. ?

Hmmm, good question! I hope somebody who knows the answer comes soon, because now I want to to know!

Yep deffo from the hay (even sometimes from woodshavings too). The black bits will probably be the lice pooh and the red spots could be guinea blood (or even possibly lice blood). Nasty little critters! GG do some fabbo shampoos - take a look at their website if you don't have anything in.

Oh my god!

I'll be inspecting all the hay from now on! I don't want my piggies to get mites!

well i know what il be busy doing this weekend, bathing guinea pigs and scrubbing cages! I might as well do all my pigs except tiny tim whos too young. I use a spot on that contains ivomec in the summer as a precation but stop in winter as i never thought of them getting anything from hay but it seems really obvious now. Typically iv just ordered some stuff from gg for one of my boars that gets dry skin and am picking it up from the post office today. Looks like il be placing another order ::) Its definently not blood. These are little things that are stuck to the hair shaft. Look like nit eggs but a different colour.

Always inspect your hay, horrible little things lice are ewwwww

It was medicated hay from a local pet store iv been using the same brand for mths but have just put in some meadow hay i decided to try. Could be coincidence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back