• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

How do I know if their teeth are too long?

• Thread starter Thread starter spitcher88
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spitcher88

I was wondering if anyone can help. I've had my two oldest boars for just over three years now and their teeth have never been cut. They look absolutely fine, but I'm worried I just don't know what to look for. They always have things to nibble, and lot's of crunchy food to keep them down. How often should I get them trimmed-if at all?

Any info would be greatly appreciated :) :)

hmmm...well if they dont seem to be eating or make the horrible, ggrinding, nails down a blackboard noise to try and grind them down...

It does not need to be done by the sound of it you piggies teeth sound fine. I have a sow who is only a year old that has to have hers trimmed :'(

You can see if the front teeth are to long just normally by looking at them, however, you can't see the back teeth without using a special piece of equipment. Common signs that the back teeth need doing are lost of appetite, drooling, weight lose, being lethargic, grinding teeth, chewing on piece of food for long periods of time and then all the other conditions that come with these e.g. lost of appetite equals smaller poos. Many guineas never need their teeth trimming in their whole lives. If you think you guinea may have dental problems or your not sure visit you vets. Hope this helps. O0

That's great thank you. I think they're all fine as they are all happily munching at the moment ;D

Aw...I can imagine it's not nice for them, hope your sow will be ok. :)

I think your guineas are fine by the sounds of it. Sadly once a guinea has a dental problem they usually have it for the rest of their lives one way or another. :(

Cavy Crazy said:
I think your guineas are fine by the sounds of it.

Sure do :)

Cavy Crazy said:
Sadly once a guinea has a dental problem they usually have it for the rest of their lives one way or another. :(

Unfortunately true :( Tonni has been going back monthly, sometimes weekly and fortnightly for ages now

kellyandpiggies♥ said:
Unfortunately true :( Tonni has been going back monthly, sometimes weekly and fortnightly for ages now

It's terrible isn't it, one of my has malocclusion. Thankfully he has been O.K. for a couple of months, however, he is due to go back soon and I always dread the worst. :(

Same here. More so with Tonni, but he always seems to bounce back and surprise me!

In need of incisors trimmed again this week. I'll see if I can get a photo :)

[/quote]

Oh wow, I didn't know it could get that serious?! Hope the trimming goes well though. :)

spitcher88 said:
Oh wow, I didn't know it could get that serious?! Hope the trimming goes well though. :)

Yes, if they don't get trimmed then they curl and can grow into their actual mouth/gum.

Yep, normally if a guinea has malocclusion they have to visit the vet every eight weeks (this is average, some can go longer then eight weeks, overs needing doing more often) to have dental work. Like Kelly has said someitmes a guinea will have to go back weekly. :( O0

If you're a member of the Cambridge Cavy Trust (£20 annually) then you are entitled to a free health check (including dental) for your guineas. Give lots of hay for guinea to eat and play in this goes a long to preventing SOME (but NOT all) dental problems. Hay gives the Molars as well as the Incisors a dental worout whereas wood chews etc will only benefit the Incisors.If your Guinea is a Satin with Osteodystrophy then dental work is next to pointless sometimes though filing can help in some cases. Cambridge Cavy Trust Info

If no problems eating, don't worry about them they're ok O0

Unfortunately both Ton and our Duke have toofie problems, they get them trimmed it takes a couple of days for them to get used to it, then they're fine for awhile (sometimes a month or a bit less) and then you all of a sudden notice that they're just not eating right and leaving food behind.
You'll see plenty of threads of toofie problems, so if you're at all unusure post here or speak to your vet asap O0
Sounds like you've got healthy furbabies :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back