How Do I Know If My Guinea Pig Is Sick Or Just Lonely

D'asia

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello. I just got a male guinea pig a couple of weeks ago. For the past two days he has been sitting in one specific spot of his cage and squeeking. I figured he was hungry so I gave him food but that's not it. When I go up to him he runs and hides then comes back out and goes to that corner. Is he just comfortable there or is he sick?

If you think there is some wrong with your guinea pig please take him to the vets for a general health check. Piggies take a while to settle in to a new environment and to him you are a big scary predator about to eat him. Guinea pigs are not wired to be on their own they are herd animals and prefer the company of their own kind. No matter how much love and attention you lavish on him you will never be able to give him what he needs which is the company of his own kind to talk to and interact with. Have you any rescues near you? Some offer boar dating so your piggie can chose a friend of his own.

If you are worried at all about your piggy’s health it’s always best to have your Vet check him over for you.If the Vet then feels he’s fine health wise then you could think about rescuing a friend for him as they do prefer to have one of their own kind for company. Just like we do!

Do you give him veggies & loads of fresh hay daily, they will run & hide when they are newbies. Like all the others I think a vet should check him over. If there is nothing wrong then go ahead with a mate. They live in pairs. If you got him from a rescue then they will find him a mate. First though, vet. Guinea pigs have a trait of getting ill & it escalating very Quickly. For him & your piece of mind get him checked then you know what your dealing with.
We'd love to see photos of your guinea pig.

I'd get him to the vets asap for a check over just to be sure, often pet shop piggies come with illnesses that take a little while to show themselves.

Once given the all clear I would definitely look into getting him a friend. They certainly suffer from loneliness so keeping them on their own isn't fair.

Hope he's okay! :)

Hello. I just got a male guinea pig a couple of weeks ago. For the past two days he has been sitting in one specific spot of his cage and squeeking. I figured he was hungry so I gave him food but that's not it. When I go up to him he runs and hides then comes back out and goes to that corner. Is he just comfortable there or is he sick?

Please have any new guinea pig health checked as a matter of course unless you adopt from a good rescue with a mandatory quarantine and vet care.

Your little boy's behaviour is likely a mixture of feeling very exposed in his new home and very lonely without having the comfort of a companion, especially if he is still a youngster - imagine sending a toddler child of yours to live on the ship of giant aliens that may or may not be cannibals. As far as shop guinea pigs with minimal human interaction are concerned, we smell and act like predators. Guinea pigs are prey animals that are wired to live in groups; they are not born as living cuddly toys without the company of your own kind. As a human, you simply cannot be around at all hours of the day for the next 5-7 years to fill that social need.

If you can, PLEASE consider a companion and ideally date him at a good rescue, so you can enjoy the delights of two personality matched piggies. It is going to bring out your boy much more quickly. How old is he?
Please be aware that bonding piggies is not as straight forward as sticking another piggy into the cage - that can be a recipe for disaster. Key to any successful piggy bond is character compatibility and mutual liking. A good rescue will consider this; you are also only adopting a healthy pet and only if there has been success with the bonding, so there is minimal risk for you but maximal profit for a little extra effort!

Please take the time to read the guides in this link here. You will find it most helpful.
One section is dedicated to making friends with your piggy by avoiding predatory behaviours and by using guinea pig behaviours to make meaningful contact in ways that he instinctively understands.
Another explains about companionship and guinea pig behaviours, as well as learning about spotting early signs of illness and what is normal in a body and what not.
It also contains links to recommended good standard rescues we can guarantee you are in safe hands (sadly there is no licensing or control of rescues or breeders in English speaking countries) as well as recommended vets in several countries.
New Owners' Online Starter " Booklet" For Really Helpful Advice

How big is the cage you have him in, when I bought my two from a pet store they sold me a really neglectful sized cage (I know this NOW) which they said would be adequate for two guinea pigs but was so small it couldn't even fit a hidey for them. My Patchy would do the same thing, eat and go back to the same place in the middle of the cage to sit with her back turned so she could't see us and i actually thought she was depressed as she looked miserable but I think maybe she was just scared with nowhere to hide. A couple of weeks later after joining this forum I realised their cage was far to small and bought them a heaps bigger one that could actually fit two hideys in and you have never seen a little piggies attitude change so much as she now had plenty of room to hide and run around and popcorn. I think a a friend would also do him the world of good but like everyone else who has replied I think a vet should be seen to make sure there is no underlining health issue for his behaviour.

Back