How do I encourage my guinea pig to explore during free roaming?

LokiCat

New Born Pup
Reaction score
How do I get my guinea pig to explore more during free roaming? He usually walks around a bit finds a spot he likes and then stays there the rest of the time either sleeping or looking around. The setup I made for him today there is a bowl of water, veggies. spread around, and hay. I will be watching him the whole time.

Attachments

• IMG_6480.webp
    IMG_6480.webp
    107.6 KB · Views: 6
Is he alone? Sometimes having no guinea pig company can make them more prone to "prey animal" behaviours - how do they know it's safe? They learn this from each other, which is hard when they're alone.

Otherwise, he needs hideys, somewhere enclosed which he can hide under when exploring. Again, prey instinct - wide open spaces can be dangerous. Some places to hide for him to take shelter when he gets afraid makes it easier for him to move around.

Is he alone? Sometimes having no guinea pig company can make them more prone to "prey animal" behaviours - how do they know it's safe? They learn this from each other, which is hard when they're alone.

Otherwise, he needs hideys, somewhere enclosed which he can hide under when exploring. Again, prey instinct - wide open spaces can be dangerous. Some places to hide for him to take shelter when he gets afraid makes it easier for him to move around.
Sadly he is alone. He did have a friend but they died young recently and we are waiting to solve his lice problem first before getting new guinea pigs. He does have 2 huts in there but I'll try to add more right now

Glad you are looking to get him a new companion, hope the lice clear up quickly for you and him.

If he’s only recently lost his companion he may still be grieving as well as feeling lost and lonely.

Don’t worry if he doesn’t want to play yet.

Glad you are looking to get him a new companion, hope the lice clear up quickly for you and him.

If he’s only recently lost his companion he may still be grieving as well as feeling lost and lonely.

Don’t worry if he doesn’t want to play yet.
They where not fully bonded yet when the other one passed so it hasn't had any affects on him really except the day it happned

How do I get my guinea pig to explore more during free roaming? He usually walks around a bit finds a spot he likes and then stays there the rest of the time either sleeping or looking around. The setup I made for him today there is a bowl of water, veggies. spread around, and hay. I will be watching him the whole time.

Thanks everyone for the advice I put in as many make shift hides I could

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    113.6 KB · Views: 6
Back