How Do I Clean Boar's 'bits' Properly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxtinamona

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

I wanted to ensure I'm doing the right thing as I am a fairly new owner of the 2 boars. I was shown how to clean Elvis's willy in the rescue we got him from. However, I'm not sure if I'm pressing the right place for it to come out so I can clean it, as I'm almost certain not the whole bit comes out.

As for our other boar, his penis doesn't seem to be retracting and hangs out most of the time :cen: ... Is this normal? When he rumble-struts sometimes it hides, but mainly it's out. Is this normal ?

Also, what's the best thing to use to clean their penises? Just water and cotton pad ?
:bye:

Hopefully this will help:

Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

As for the second boar in question, as long as he CAN retract it and it isnt stuck, swollen etc then there shouldnt be any problems. If it seems stuck, you can try placing some water based lubricant on it to help it go back in. If it wont and/or becomes puffy, he will need to see the vet for some help x

@Adelle - thank you. I only had him for a week and he'd been recently neutered, could it be the reason it doesn't always 'hide'? What water based lubricant is best please?
P.S. Does anyone have any handy tips on how to push the penis out in order to clean it please ?

Hi - if you press gently with 2 fingers - one either side of the willy area, it'll pop out! You'll know when you're on the right area as you'll see it coming out straight away! Good luck!

Agree with @tabelmabel on how to extrude the penis. Ky jelly is safe to apply to that area on your other boar, which should help it go back in. If it doesnt or becomes swollen as i said, let the vet have a look at it x

@tabelmabel @Adelle thank you so much - I've ordered KY jelly some 30 mins ago - others that came up on Internet were flavoured and scented for ... ' other'
Activities hahaha:shh:

Yeah i dont think he needs any of that :D:D:D

Your vet may be able to give you some, they usually have them in small sachets for themometers and urinary catheters etc. just make sure you explain yourself though haha

@Adelle - thank you. I only had him for a week and he'd been recently neutered, could it be the reason it doesn't always 'hide'? What water based lubricant is best please?
P.S. Does anyone have any handy tips on how to push the penis out in order to clean it please ?

You can find a picture and tips for that in the guide.

Look where I am gently pressing in this picture here:
img_2902_edited-1-jpg.44087

I think my Elvis has what I've seen referee to as ' cauliflower penis ':hmm:
Should I worry or do anything different, :(

Sorry, not Elvis but the new boy: Mr Presley.
I'm getting muddled up with 4 names now :mal::P

I cleaned Elvis' bit this morning. It went well and thank you for your advice on how to 'make things pop out'... He didn't enjoy the clean bless him. I wasn't sure how clean I need to leave it, as it looked pretty clean to me. there was no smell or anything, just a little white creamy, well semen I assume. Cleaned that, but wasn't sure if I'm not cleaning it too much, in case it'll hurt him because it's too dry?!?:hb:
Very complicated procedure haha.

I also have him a bum bath and cleaned his glands with swarfega :)
I wasn't sure if I am using it right. I rubbed it in the area, waited a bit, added a bit water and ribbed further. the greasy bits because softer so I tried to pull it hoping it'll come out, which it did, but with his fur! Is this normal ? He didn't cry or anything when that happen, but not sure why hair didn't stay ?

I think my Elvis has what I've seen referee to as ' cauliflower penis ':hmm:
Should I worry or do anything different, :(

Milder cauliflower willy is nothing to worry about. In really bad cases, there is a risk of infections getting in more easily. It may be worth checking more often and using some mild disinfectant like saline solution or very diluted F10 disinfectant.

@Wiebke @Adelle @tabelmabel

Helloooo all! So I just attempted cleaning Presley's (the newest boys) willy as he's been here for 3 weeks but he is a wriggler I tell you! I got panicky and started sweating I'm sure. His 'thing' wouldn't come out as kept moving so I stopped as I'm scared I may hurt him when he's wriggling so much :( any tips to calm him down? Xx

Try wrapping him in a blanket or towel, then tilting him up so his back is straight against your tummy. Lay your hand (one u wont be using for cleaning) against his front and hold him gently but firmly in place against your tummy. Use your other hand to move the towel away from the area u want to get to, and try extrude the penis from there. Then u may need someone else to do the cleaning!

If u need help, someone could also do the holding as described above whilst you clean.

If it isnt badly needing done at the moment, try doing it all in stages to get him used to it before you actually carry out the full process and clean his bits.

Talking to him calmly will help, and may also be a good idea to try it after floor time once hes burned off some energy x

image.webp image.webp image.webp image.webp YThank you. I'm a bit worried as I tried again after a short break and few treats in form of grass and he calmed down. I was able to make it stay still, but no way I can get his willy out. With Elvis it's really easy but Presley's willy looks completely different to him and though I can feel his penis under the skin when gently pressing the are it's not coming out. As if the skin that's hanging out all the time was stitched up! :no:
Took couple of pictures to show what his bits look like. I tried gently pushing it in with KY jelly but it's coming out again :(
They aren't best pictures - sorry - was hard to capture with one hand. Normally that skin hangs out about 3-4 millimeters more. I'm worried that there may be something wrong with him...
image.webp

Thank you. It's really freaking me out. Plus Presley now hates me evidently for proding his poor winkie :(

I am not an expert (I only have 1 boar who is castrated) but I would be tempted to pop him along to the vets and have it checked out.
It sounds like you know what you are doing, and if you can't get it to pop out then maybe he needs to be looked at by a professional.
Do you have a cavy savy vet nearby?

Just seen tag as I'm abroad :yahoo:

I would get the boys seen by your vet and checked out. I know that neutering can affect their ability to retract their penis - I've seen that before - but I've not heard of being unable to extrude the penis. I am not a fan of over handling male boar bits unless necessary so I would leave well alone until you have had them seen by the vet. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back