How did you wick your fleece?

Adelyn

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’m making some new fleece liners for the piggies! I have some 100% polyester fleece throws that I’m going to use.
All the liners I currently use were pre-wicked.

I don’t want to damage the new fleece. It’s from Amazon, and the care section said “Machine wash cold. No bleach.” Will washing it on hot hurt it?

From what I’ve read, you’re supposed to wash new fleece in hot water and add some vinegar. Tumble dry on the lowest heat setting or preferably air dry.

How did you get your fleece to wick?

Add the things that have worked (or didn’t work). We can make this a resource for others who also need to wick fleece ;)

I pre wash the (anti pill) fleece and wadding on 40 before cutting and sewing, it will shrink a bit. I don't do anything else to make it wick and haven't had any problems. I use non bio powder and have stopped using vinegar as it damaged my machine. I do wash a lot of fleece though as I have 5 cages the smallest being 4 x 2 C&C so that was an awful lot of vinegar going through the machine. I air dry, I don't have a tumble drier.

I have never done a hot wash with mine, always 30 or 40 degrees. For wicking I just washed them a couple of times. I never tumble dry, if they can't go on the line then it's the clothes horse.
I always give an extra spin too.

I prewash the fleece only before sewing. Then wash everything again once sewed as I use zorb for the inner layer, & its is better at adsorbing after its first wash.
I usually wash in non bio with a splash of vinegar, usually on 40/30C.
We line dry where we can, or inside on a clothes horse, never in the tumble dryer.

I wash at 40 degrees on a normal wash with a squish of white vinegar and fast spin, never had a problem. It very much depends on what fleece you have. I use anti-pill polyester fleece it dries really quick.

Back