• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

How common is Impaction?

• Thread starter Thread starter iluvmypets
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iluvmypets

I'm picking up my boar in a few days and now I'm just reading over care sheets and other information again. One thing that I've been wondering is...how common or rare is impaction in male guinea pigs? Is it more like a 50/50 chance and can I do anything to maybe reduce the chances of him getting it? Thanks.

Depends on the age of the boar, older boars are more likely to get impacted. A good diet and lots of excercise outside of the cage/hutch can reduce the chances of it occurring. Some boars get impacted, some don`t! It only takes a a couple of minutes to clear it anyway and it`s a bit smelly but you would get used to it :)

Thank you :)

Is this the same reason why people say that boars smell more? Because of anal problems?

No I wouldn`t say so. I think boars can smell a bit more when they mark their scent, they drag their bottom across the floor and their scent gland (loacted where their tail would be) leaves a smell like old socks ;D
They only tend to do this when they smell the presence of strange guinea pigs. It doesn`t leave a mark, just a smell which only lingers for a short while.

lavenderjade said:
No I wouldn`t say so. I think boars can smell a bit more when they mark their scent, they drag their bottom across the floor and their scent gland (loacted where their tail would be) leaves a smell like old socks ;D
They only tend to do this when they smell the presence of strange guinea pigs. It doesn`t leave a mark, just a smell which only lingers for a short while.

old socks ?.. i think something went very wrong with my boys their scent is much worse! ;D they do it everytime i clean the cage its disgusting!

Well I must admit, very very putrid old socks ;D I have got used to it maybe and my nose is de sensitized ;D

I am not happy with the info on guinealynx.If the boar is checked twice a day,or more if he has bad impaction.,the anus will not get so blocked .

I think that syringing water into the anus could be dangerous unless you know what you are doing,even then it should not be necessary.

It is not a good idea to just rely on one internet site for info.

In my experience my boars have never had a problem, but then again I have only had a few :)

spudnik said:
lavenderjade said:

old socks ?.. i think something went very wrong with my boys their scent is much worse! ;D they do it everytime i clean the cage its disgusting!
My boys are 8 months old. I check their privates every day as they often have bits and pieces sticking out ::) A couple of times Jacob has had a thin clump of hairs and muck which are stuck together protruding. I've gently pulled them out and (don't ask why, but as you do!) I made the mistake of smelling it. OH MY GOD! I can honestly say I've never smelt anything as disgusting in my life. It was at a stage when there was a lot of rumbling and strutting going on, so scent marking probably too. Everything seems to be OK down there but I keep an eye on it (with a peg on my nose). It really is the most disgusting smell! My girls don't do anything like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back