How cold is too cold for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jane

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I know it's getting kinda cool now at night, how cold is too cold? (yes, I know I started a topic asking when to bring them in the other day but this is different ;D ;))

I think it's getting to about 13C at night now...they have lots of hay and stuff to snuggle into but is it too cold?

Jane

i think normally when it starts freezing over thats when you should up the warmness, or bring them inside? I'm not sure though ive never had my piggies outside, mine are in my shed though and when that starts freezing at night or if its extremely cold to me i put in blankets over their wood house that they sleep in :)

Yep I'm bringing them back inside to their c&c when it gets cold :)

I think I'll start designing my c&c (and bedroom ;D ::)) again then bring them in in a few weeks.

yeah if its not freezing but you are finding yourself being quite cold, then id probabl;y bring them in..

spudnik said:
i think normally when it starts freezing over thats when you should up the warmness, or bring them inside? I'm not sure though ive never had my piggies outside, mine are in my shed though and when that starts freezing at night or if its extremely cold to me i put in blankets over their wood house that they sleep in :)

Got any pictures of your shed? Like seeing other peoples idea/creations!

i have but ive only got ias its set up in summer..i can take pics when i sort out my winter stuff later in the year :) i'll just find them

they dont really show the full shed just the bit they live in :)

the wood house is what they sleep in:
small4pig.jpg

DSC00126.jpg

small5pig.jpg

small5pig.jpg

They can stay outside IF they have plenty of warm nesting and damp and draughts are kept out, maybe put a sheet of plastic over the front of the cage. My friends piggys are out all year round. But i am soft so Gibert stays inside all year round.

I don't want them out in the winter..even if I can keep them warm I wouildn't want to go outside in the rain/snow so they'd end up being neglected :P (not that I'd let that happen ;))

Once its below 10c its to cold for piggies the do not cope very well. Mine are kept in a heated and insulated shed for the winter months last year they were in the house but my numbers have doubled since then ;D I will have one group in at a time this year in a cc cage. Its much better to be able to put a hutch inside a shed away from the damp air. Its no fun cleaning out in all weathers.

Mine have no choice but to stay outside now, my dad doesn't think there big hutch will fit in the shed with the rest of his stuff :( I'm going to get ome of those heat pads for them and piles of hay and they have 3 covers. I hope they fit in the shed though after all not only will they not like it outside either will i :(

gillypig said:
They can stay outside IF they have plenty of warm nesting and damp and draughts are kept out, maybe put a sheet of plastic over the front of the cage.

Even with this the temperature can vary greatly, by as much as 15C in 24 hours, during the winter months. This is what the problem is for guinea pigs - the temperature fluctuations. You can't even take them inside for cuddles at this time of year which is pretty useless for both guinea pig and owner as the sudden change in temperature can seriously compromise their health.

My 3 are outside but when it gets too clod I'll bring the hutch into the shed! My hutch has perspex instead of mesh,keeps them warm and keeps the mess inside too!Also made with half inch ply wood.

08-05-07_0911.jpg

Gaile said:
My 3 are outside but when it gets too clod I'll bring the hutch into the shed! My hutch has perspex instead of mesh,keeps them warm and keeps the mess inside too!Also made with half inch ply wood.

Is there only one grid for ventilation? It might keep the mess in and keep them warm but lack of ventilation as well can cause serious problems.

daftscotslass said:
gillypig said:
They can stay outside IF they have plenty of warm nesting and damp and draughts are kept out, maybe put a sheet of plastic over the front of the cage.

Even with this the temperature can vary greatly, by as much as 15C in 24 hours, during the winter months. This is what the problem is for guinea pigs - the temperature fluctuations. You can't even take them inside for cuddles at this time of year which is pretty useless for both guinea pig and owner as the sudden change in temperature can seriously compromise their health.

Oh my god my piggies are still outside at the moment will be bringing them into the workshop soon for winter. I have been bringing them in for cuddles and going back out to bed. Am i putting them at risk? They seem fine and have a snuggle pad in their house at night. I will never forgive myself if i have put them at any risk :(

lindsay7 said:
Oh my god my piggies are still outside at the moment will be bringing them into the workshop soon for winter. I have been bringing them in for cuddles and going back out to bed. Am i putting them at risk? They seem fine and have a snuggle pad in their house at night. I will never forgive myself if i have put them at any risk :(

When I was younger I had a perfectly healthy pig who lived in an outbuilding that ended up with a serious bout of pneumonia. One of the first few questions the vet asked was if he was kept outside and brought indoors for short periods as this can compromise their ability to resist infection - rather like a human going out without a coat in the dead of winter. Sadly despite everything we still lost the him. I haven't had an outdoor pig since.

lindsay7 said:
daftscotslass said:
gillypig said:

I've been told that at the moment it's fine, but once it gets cold outside the temperature changes are too much...but at the moment, it's about 17C outside and about 19C inside in my house so I think that's okay.

Gps cannot stand dramatic changes in temperature.They are best kept indoors or in a properly heated shed.My rule of thumb is that if I am cold my pigs are cold.Although I think I feel the cold more than them because sometimes I feel a bit shivery and my pigs are warm as toast.

Gaile said:
My 3 are outside but when it gets too cold I'll bring the hutch into the shed! My hutch has perspex instead of mesh,keeps them warm and keeps the mess inside too!Also made with half inch ply wood.

08-05-07_0911.jpg

I've changed the door since this photo was taken,the c&c door is now on the other side, so that the air flow can go upstairs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back