How Close Do You Get To Your Piggies Cage To See If It Smells?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bklynbee

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wondering when you do a smell check on your cage how close do you get? I have been using fleece with towels and have been putting pee pads where they sleep. When I clean the cage when I take the pee pad out I smell it to see if they went there which most of the time they do and then i put my face real close to where they sleep to smell the under layer of fleece which usually smells as well. I cant smell anything if i just go near the cage but i can smell it when i put my nose right up to the spot. Usually if I put a clean pee pad over top it covers the smell but is it ok to do this or should I change the whole fleece out ? It is only the one corner where they sleep that I am having this problem.

Depends on how often you clean, how many piggies you've got and how sensitive your nose is, I guess! Everybody has different sensitivities in that respect; while some people will find the smallest whiff intrusive, others have a higher tolerance limit. Piggy pee can also change in intensity and aroma depending on what you are feeding or how excited boys get.

Personally, I have no problem with you just changing the top layer as long as the pad is only very lightly soiled and gets regularly changed.

Depends on how often you clean, how many piggies you've got and how sensitive your nose is, I guess! Everybody has different sensitivities in that respect; while some people will find the smallest whiff intrusive, others have a higher tolerance limit. Piggy pee can also change in intensity and aroma depending on what you are feeding or how excited boys get.

Personally, I have no problem with you just changing the top layer as long as the pad is only very lightly soiled and gets regularly changed.
I have 2 boys so not sure if maybe they are marking their territory. It kind of smells like cat pee when they spray so it is a strong smell. I change the pee pad everyday and the entire fleece in the cage at least once a week. I'm not only concerned with me smelling it I'm concerned with them breathing that while there in there pigloo. I cant for the life of me understand though how it is getting through the pee pad onto the main fleece in the cage. I sew the fleece together like a pillow case and have one hand towel in the middle for the pee pad. Should I try something else in the middle of the pee pad? Thanks for your response.

I have main fleece and litter trays but towel and fleece where they sleep.The little fleeces and towel get changed every day and main fleece gets changed every week. I have puppy pads under mine as well and these get changed as and when they need it.There it's a smell when I'm in the cage from the litter trays but that's it but mine are sows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back