How Can We Settle Our Guinea Pigs To Stroke Them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spud

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We have had our 2 female piggies who are now 13 weeks old for 4 weeks. They seem happy and run around a lot and wheek excitedly when we put hay in the run. We have tried to get them out to stroke them quite a few times now and one will stay on my daughters lap for about 30 seconds and then runs off, the other will not stay at all and just runs straight off. (We have even tried having food on the laps to get them to stay) I was advised to get guinea pigs as I was told they make very tame friendly pets for children. The guinea pigs at our local farm park will sit on children's laps being stroked for ages and I naïvely thought ours would be the same. Is it because they are still young or is there anything we should be doing differently?

I found that holding my piggies in a towel (or similar) and stroking them through that worked well to get them used to being held. Being wrapped up, they will feel safer (can't see you, you can't see me) it also makes them easier to hold as they're less wiggly and scratchy toenails can't get you. Have them somewhere calm without too many sudden movements or loud noises and they should soon get used to being held. As they get more used to it, you can readjust the towel a bit, just cover their bodies, whatever they'll let you do. I know other people here can bribe their piggies with favourite veggies etc, but mine refuse to eat anything they think we've given them. Silly piggies will only eat what they "find" in their house. Good luck!

thanks. We put a towel on the childrens laps anyway so we could just put that up round them a bit I guess so its more like a tunnel

We're in a similar situation with our newbies. We've had them 4 weeks and my husband is the only one who can catch them! Ours won't eat when they are being handled but I think they are gradually getting used to it. My son (aged 8) prefers them to be in a cuddlecup/bed thing as they are more secure on this lap and he can stroke them easily. May be worth a try for your children.

IMG_3525_r.webp

If you can have something such as what @pigmumsar has suggested it makes it much less stressful for your guineas. If it is in the cage they will hide in that so it's easier to pick them up. Guineas are prey species so naturally the run for cover so as not to be caught. Adult guineas would have been better as a family pet as youngsters do tend to be rather lovely and difficult to handle x

If you can have something such as what @pigmumsar has suggested it makes it much less stressful for your guineas. If it is in the cage they will hide in that so it's easier to pick them up. Guineas are prey species so naturally the run for cover so as not to be caught. Adult guineas would have been better as a family pet as youngsters do tend to be rather lovely and difficult to handle x
Do you think they should get easier to handle as they get older? What age is classed as adult?

They will definitely get better as they get older. The more gentle but firm and carefully they are handled now the more they will trust you. An adult is over 1 year but also depends on the personality on how laid back they are :)

I second the idea of a cuddle cup or somewhere to hide. One of mine used to hide her head and feel better about the whole patting procedure so long as her face was covered! Thirteen weeks is really still a baby and baby guinea pigs tend to be skittish and very high energy. They will settle down and be easier to hold as they get older (although a lot of older guinea pigs still don't like the feeling of being 'caught' when you pick them up, they settle faster when held.) Just make sure to keep handling them frequently, even if it's just for short times, while they are young because it's the best window for socializing them with humans. I'm not sure how old your kids are, but I would also try to make sure that they are being very still/quiet when holding the pigs. My kids are older (the youngest is turning 9 this month, the oldest is 13) and they still manage to get our youngest pig, Hadley, all worked up when they are all still in the room. I think it's the multiple voices making her want to track down and visit all the people. She sits a lot more calmly if they are quiet. If they are excitable or everyone is talking she basically ends up running around the couch instead.

They will definitely get better as they get older. The more gentle but firm and carefully they are handled now the more they will trust you. An adult is over 1 year but also depends on the personality on how laid back they are :)
thanks

Hi, managed to get two of the beds and tried them this afternoon for the first time. They were both definitely calmer and we could all stroke them for a few minutes. They then climbed out and had a good explore of the room. Hopefully each time we use them they will stay for a bit longer but the whole experience was def less stressful for us and them! I didn't want to take a picture today but will do next time now we know it works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back