How Can I Tell A Pew From A Lethal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinka

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So after looking at adoptable guinea pigs today, I saw one female who is stark white with bright red eyes. She is really sweet and I couldn't see her teeth. I'm just nervous after hearing stories about lethals that I might adopt one. So, is there any way to tell right off the bat? She's around 6 months they said, and has two bright red eyes that are not squinted. She's all white. Help?

The chances that you come up against a lethal are actually very small. Lethals are RARE, first and foremost, whereas PEWs are one of the most common pet breeds. Most lethals have have smaller than normal eyes.

No rescue worth their salt would put a blind/deaf guinea pig up for adoption anyway. Lethals orient themselves by touch and smell. They would either stay at the rescue as a permanent resident or go to a very experienced rescue foster. ;)

Our forum member @furryfriends Excellent Adventure Sanctuary is running a sanctuary for dental guinea pigs and has a number of lethals in her care. You can find several videos of her lethals on her facebook page; they have a very characteristic way of moving around as they use their remaining two senses to get around and stay in touch.
https://www.facebook.com/teasnorthampton
Thanks! I'm just nervous because this rescue doesn't have experience with guinea pigs. They're kinda at a loss since they just had over thirty surrendered at the same time. I'll definitely check this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back