How can I enrich my solo guinea pig's life in an unideal circumstance?

Saii

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My 6 year old guinea pig Sundae has not been living a very happy life for awhile now, and the guilt it's gotten to this point has become so unbearable I can hardly get a good night's rest anymore knowing how sad she must be. I apologize in advance if the following information comes off as padding out the question, but I feel it's relevant to understand the circumstances fully.

I took in Sundae and her late sister Honey a few weeks after they were born. The owner had to get rid of all their pigs pretty quick due to a move, and I just so happened to have an immense love of guinea pigs landing me easily in the situation of taking 2 of them in. The circumstances of their births was awfully unfortunate, likely being the result of accidental inbreeding due to a lack of management over their parents. Besides a small extra toe on Sundae however, they were initially thriving despite this, living their life as a normal guinea pig would.

Now, Honey and Sundae hardly had the best lives. Due to being awfully poor, not having alot of space, and this all being so sudden, their cage size while not small, wasn't really super large either. They also hated to be held no matter how much I tried to warm them up to it, even to this day with daily hand feedings Sundae will do everything she can to avoid being held and remains frozen when standing anywhere outside her cage. Regardless, they seemed pretty happy with their lives as they would often play and be generally active and healthy. Unfortunately their terms of birth caught up with them, as while being otherwise healthy they both went blind in one eye. Within a week or two after, Honey suddenly suffered from a seizure, and before I could even really process what was happening, she was gone. I let Sundae see Honey one last time, and prepared myself for what would likely happen very soon to Sundae.

I really wasn't and still am not in the best situation to afford continuing guinea pig care, only taking in Honey and Sundae out of necessity to prevent them from being released into the wild. Sundae was likely not going to last much longer so trying to get her a new friend was out of the question as that one would soon be alone too. After quite a long time however, it has become extremely clear that Sundae isn't going to go through what her sister did. She is a healthy pig, eating regularly and not being picky, moving around the cage, keeping her teeth in check, ect. It's undeniable however that despite her lack of wanting to give up, she is lonely and sad.

As she has now reached her elderly years, I just want to help her be happy again before she goes. I really could never give her up, but I can't really get her a friend either, and she just doesn't want to receive attention from me. Even if you leave her cage wide open, she refuses to leave it to even run around in a more open space. I really don't know what to do because everything I know you are supposed to do to help a solo pig she has no interest in at all. Is there anything I can do that doesn't involve giving her away? Is it even still possible this late into her life to gain her full trust?

:wel:

Well done for taking them in. I’m sorry you lost Honey.

Wanting to end a piggy cycle is always a tricky time. It very clear you care deeply for Sundae and only want what is best for her.

When someone wants to end the piggy cycle, some rescues (in the UK) will allow you to foster a rescue pig to see out the life of your piggy with companionship. You then hand the foster back when your piggy passes. I’m not sure if this is an option as widely in the US but perhaps something you can explore?
That doesn’t address any financial situation though. If you cannot afford the food and vet care for two piggies, then getting a second piggy may not be in their best interest either.

Regarding her not wanting to come out of the cage, can you tell us a bit more about the set up for her exercise time. As you say you leave the door open, I assume it’s free roaming floor time. Do you use plenty of hides etc in the room? Piggies simply don’t like wide open spaces. They prefer to be enclosed, to know they are safe and that nothing can swoop down and eat them. A large playpen which can be covered with a sheet with lots of hides can work a lot better for some piggies rather than free roaming.

Its quite normal for piggies, as prey animals, to not want to be picked up or have human interaction. You mention hand feeding, does she take the food from you? If she does, then she trusts you. It is still quite normal for her to not want to be picked up though even though you have her trust.
To pick her up for health/weight checks etc, then herd her into a box and pick her up from there. She won’t necessarily like it any more, but it can be a lot easier and less stressful.

Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

Your whole post shows how much you care for your piggies and how lucky they were to have found you.
Even if not ideal, you have clearly done everything possible to give them the best life you could.

What I would say is that whilst inbreeding can be a factor in genetic issues, I have had perfectly healthy pigs from great lines die quickly and very young, so this isn't the only factor that determines longevity.

I have also had piggies who enjoy being cuddled and several who loather being picked up despite living their whole lives with me.
I think we are often mis-sold this idea of guinea pigs as cuddly lap pets, when the reality is that many will never learn to enjoy being handled and cuddled.
Instead try and focus on things that are positive for both of you like hand feeding or watching her enjoy a new paper bag filled with hay or other type of enrichment.

It is lovely you are thinking about how of offer Sundae the best possible life moving forwards.
I would agree with @Piggies&buns - maybe try calling a few local rescues to ask about the possibility of bring her in to choose a companion for her remaining time with you.

Good luck with everything and try not to be too hard on yourself - - you are trying your best, and at the end fo the day that is all any of us can do.

Back