How best to move outside?

• Thread starter Thread starter EmmaJ
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EmmaJ

Hi, I'm sure this question has been answered many times on the forum but...

My guinea pigs have always lived in cages in my living room but due to a change of circumstances I no longer have the space to keep them here. I have bought a few double decker 4 ft hutches which can either go in my shed straight away or outside until the end of the summer and then moved into the shed. Can anyone advise me of the best way to acclimatise my pigs as it will be a bit of a shock to them I'm sure. I was thinking start off having them in hutches during the day and bringing them in at night for a few days...
And are the hutches best in the shed where it could get very hot over summer, or outside where it could get very cold at night...? I'm worried.
Thank you!

I have moved mine out from the house into my shed a few weeks back now. Just waiting for the nights to be above 10c before moving them to thier outside mansion ;) It still very chilly during the night but mine have been enjoying the sunshine in the run most days :)this last month

just put them in the backyard. if they don't make it then it's nature. thats what I do with some of my breeding guinea pigs.
glad i could help O0

♥Drizzle♥

DrizzlesPiggies said:
just put them in the backyard. if they don't make it then it's nature. thats what I do with some of my breeding guinea pigs.
glad i could help O0

♥Drizzle♥

Drizzle, I am becoming quite sick of reading your ridiculous posts. If that is your attitude towards guinea pigs, then I worry for the sake of your own ones... especially if you breed them too.

You keep relating your own and people's guinea pigs to wild guinea pigs. If you believe that theory is absolutely correct, then why do you keep your guinea pigs in a cage/hutch? - Thats because pet guinea pigs are NOT wild guinea pigs. Do you also not give your guinea pigs medical treatment when ill because in the wild, they would just die? - I really do dread to think!

DrizzlesPiggies said:
glad i could help O0

♥Drizzle♥

Thats horrible! As squeekypigs has said theyre not Wild guinea pigs and need to be treated with love and care! If you dont care about them and think "oh well...' Then you shouldnt be allowed to have them! >:(

do you think shes making these comments on purpose to wind us all up?

maisydaisystar said:
do you think shes making these comments on purpose to wind us all up?

Obviously a forum troll. No ones actualy that much of an idiot.

I think whoever it is is trying to wind us us, he/she used the phrase 'thats retarded' on another pot which i really ****ing hate and noone is so stupid as to say that and be being serious! ::)

Thanks Pumpkin Piggie. and er... don't think I'll be taking your advice Drizzle as I'm not sure the theory of natural selection applies to pampered pet guinea pigs. I'll probably keep them in the shed then and move outside at the end of the month... Unless anone else has advice?

Smiler said:
I think whoever it is is trying to wind us us, he/she used the phrase 'thats retarded' on another pot which i really ****ing hate and noone is so stupid as to say that and be being serious! ::)

Reading her other posts, I think she is serious as she went to the trouble of introducing herself etc.

WTF is she about crikey mild mannered me nearly lost it with her , :tickedoff: dont bother posting drizzle as you obviously are not an animal lover and need reporting and I truly hope your neighbour does so, I know i would if i lived next door to you , :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

Hi Emma,
I am bringing my piggies out of the shed sometime this week, I have to though because the Other Half wants the utility cleared out for our party on Sat, I will be covering them with an old sleeping bag and a water proof throughout the night,and loads of extra hay to keep them extra snuggly.It's up to you though, you could wait till the weather is more settled and a little warmer through the night, and put them in the shed for the time being.

ive took some of mine out and theyre outside but OMG its windy today so they wont be uncovered for too long in case they get blown away

theyll prob be all snuggled up in their hay,if theyre still there lol

Thanks guys. Just checked the weather forecast and it looks like it will continue to be 'bleak up north' for a while yet. Think it'll be the shed and outside once June comes. Still worried like mad that they'll be too cold or too hot or too lonely or too bored or bothered by the spiders or.... the list goes on... Just gotta bite the bullet. They prob won't even care as long as they still get their food and playtime!

baby-wilson said:
DrizzlesPiggies said:
glad i could help O0

♥Drizzle♥

Thats horrible! As squeekypigs has said theyre not Wild guinea pigs and need to be treated with love and care! If you dont care about them and think "oh well...' Then you shouldnt be allowed to have them! >:(

I would treat mine with more care and yet i cant have them... you who can should treat them with love and care >:(

and we arent being mean cos your new btw... just something you may come back with :(

DrizzlesPiggies said:
glad i could help O0

♥Drizzle♥

That horrible to say! I am 16years old and I know damn well thats no way to treat a pet! I find that offensive!

Just because they do stuff in the wild like go out in the cold weather does not mean pets can do it too, pets are kept in the house right, which means they won't be used to the cold weather in the winter, autumn ETC ETC...
Like my mum(pumpkinpiggie) said we're getting ours used to being outside at the moment, because they're in the hutch in the shed, until it's warm enough in the nights to go straight outside.

I think it's best to move a piggie from the inside of the house where it's warm, to a less warm place outside, e.g shed (NOT A GREENHOUSE OR A COMPLETE GLASS SHED AS IT WOULD BE TOO HOT!) a outhouse, wooden sheds etc... then when its about 10 - 12degrees at night, and stays like that, move them into an outdoor hutch :D

DrizzlesPiggies said:
glad i could help O0

♥Drizzle♥

That attitude is not one I Would normally expect from a pet owner, and i think you have offended quite a few people with your comment, if your going to have animals you should look after them with amount of care and love they need, not put them into a situation which could be harmful for them and if they pull through great, if not nevermind.

It's not nature taking its course if they dont make it, its animal cruelty, a loving owner would prevent anything like that ever happening, and never out their piggies into a a situation which could possible kill them.

Emma, I think its probably best to climatise slowly, maybe have them out during the day in the shed, and at night bring them in if its freezing, My girls live outside in the shed but its below freezing i bring them inside, you can also get hutch covers which are insulated for cold times, and when its really hot if you get a fan it will blow cool air around for them, make sure they have somewhere warm and snuggly for bedtime mine have a wooden house which they all sleep in together, and i put blankets over that (in the shed) I would wait until you put them out as it may be a little too cold yet for them to go outside.

hope you work it out ok O0

thats kind of made me sad though thinking that some people cant have piggies for whatever reason (e.g. me) and you say those things about yours

Sorry but that makes me sad and very upset
:'( :'( :'(

And you BREED them :(

I agree with everyone elses comments about moving them!

Rachel~♥~ said:
thats kind of made me sad though thinking that some people cant have piggies for whatever reason (e.g. me) and you say those things about yours

Sorry but that makes me sad and very upset
:'( :'( :'(

And you BREED them :(

I agree with everyone elses comments about moving them!

Or she could be from another guinea pigs and just wants to flame this forum? I've seen it happen between forums, infact i've been i the middle of a conversation in a forum, and then loads of people sign up and start trolling/flaming the forums because they don't like the site, or the site is becoming more popular than their own site.

I hope she comes to her senses if she really does treat animals like that, that it is NO way to treat a guinea pig. Like spudnik said, it's animal cruelty :(:(:(

It makes me angry that people can actually do that to a guinea pig, I would be heart broken if one of my little gorgeous guinea pigs died :(

And breeding them :o

Infact, not being nasty but
A) she/he shouldnt have pets
B) i dont think he/she should be a member of this website, Putting people down, and saying 'thats retarded' is no way to act, AND I'm 13!

If i were in control, id ban him/her Sorry, but they keep refering to 'wild' guinea pigs!

EmmaJ said:
Thanks guys. Just checked the weather forecast and it looks like it will continue to be 'bleak up north' for a while yet. Think it'll be the shed and outside once June comes. Still worried like mad that they'll be too cold or too hot or too lonely or too bored or bothered by the spiders or.... the list goes on... Just gotta bite the bullet. They prob won't even care as long as they still get their food and playtime!
:) yeah put them in the shed they will be ok leave a radio on if theres power ;) then in a few weeks they can go outside in the nice fresh air :)

Tom_cat said:
Infact, not being nasty but
A) she/he shouldnt have pets
B) i dont think he/she should be a member of this website, Putting people down, and saying 'thats retarded' is no way to act, AND I'm 13!

Well i'm sure if her behavior carries on the webmaster/admins will take car of s/he.
Gosh I really do hope she's just a troll and doesn't actually treat guinea or animals like that.

I've said it before, & I'll say it again. HE/SHE IS AN IDIOT WHO'S TRYING TO WIND US UP. 98)
Don't give it the satisfaction. O0

EmmaJ said:

Mine are still in the shed at the moment. it's been cooler and wetter this week but when the weather was milder the temperature fluctuated a lot in the shed so I open the window and/or the door for extra ventilation. I keep a thermometer in the shed. A couple of times we've gone out for a few hours - it was too cool to ventilate the shed in the morning - so we've brought them indoors in case the shed got too warm. We've been wondering about having them outdoors too but haven't got any hutch huggers/waterproof covers. Our hutch has an arched roof - strange shape. I'm beginning to wish we'd gone for a more standard shaped hutch with underrun!

Good idea to have a thermometer in the shed! Might copy that. I haven't got any hutch huggers or anything yet either. All this keeping them outside business is starting to look more and more costly!

you wouldn't have to spend out on a hutch hugger, a blanket and a waterproof cover will be fine and then just the waterproof cover when the weather is warmer.

I got a max-min thermometer and reset it each day so I can keep track what the temp has done overnight or how hot it gets in the day. Am I obsessive? :D Just trying to care for them as best I can.

Good point about not needing a hugger but something large and waterproof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back