How 2 keep G-pig cool?

Zorro1

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'd appreciate some advice on how to keep a guinea pig cool. A the moment, it's the middle of Winter so I don't have any immediate worries. But I'd still like some tips for keeping my piggy cool when Summer arrives because where I live, it can get super HOT (up to 44 degrees Celsius, but on average 33 in the hottest months). I do have a portable hand fan that I can put in his enclosure, but the only bedding I have is fleece. I have his hutch in a room that has air-conditioning, but I can't keep him in that small hutch all day, every day.
If I give him really cold food, will that help him keep cool or jut upset his stomach?
It may seem a bit premature to ask how to keep him cool in the Summer when now it is the middle of winter, but I just want to know so that I'm ready for Summer.
Thanks

Keeping the room cool is the key thing and there are various methods to do that. What temperature does the room he live in get to in summer?
A fan won’t help if the room isn’t cool - a fan will just blow around warm air if you aren’t careful.

Can you add grids to the front of the small hutch in the air conditioned room to give him more space and enable him to stay cool?

Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike
Hot weather warning for the UK - plan now to keep your piggies safe!

His hutch is in a room with air-conditioning, but his main enclosure is outside on a veranda. So he would be exposed to really hot conditions if I don't try to keep him cool. Unfortunately, I don't think I'd be able to put grids in front of his hutch.
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

His hutch is in a room with air-conditioning, but his main enclosure is outside on a veranda. So he would be exposed to really hot conditions if I don't try to keep him cool. Unfortunately, I don't think I'd be able to put grids in front of his hutch.
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

Is it just the size of the hutch then that prevents you from keeping him in it?
What size is the hutch?

Yes, the reason why I don't like to keep him in his hutch for too long is because I don't think it's big enough. I only put him in the inside hutch when the conditions or temperature outside is too rough. Which usually means he comes inside at night, especially in Winter.
The hutch is 2 story, but he only uses the bottom half, which is roughly 43cm wide by 89cm long.

Yes, the reason why I don't like to keep him in his hutch for too long is because I don't think it's big enough. I only put him in the inside hutch when the conditions or temperature outside is too rough. Which usually means he comes inside at night, especially in Winter.
The hutch is 2 story, but he only uses the bottom half, which is roughly 43cm wide by 89cm long.

Is there any way you can get a bigger hutch in the air conditioned room?
Unfortunately it doesn’t sound as if either of your options are suitable for summer - the hutch is far too small to be used at all (not even for short periods) and the main enclosure on the veranda would be too hot.
For welfare purposes, the absolute smallest hutch a single piggy should be in is 120x60cm. Being double storey, even if he did use the top, it doesn’t double the space anyway so still doesn’t count.

Last edited:
:( I'm not sure if I can get a bigger hutch, but I'll consider it. I let him out of the hutch frequently so he can run around, if that helps.
As for the larger enclosure on the veranda, is there anything I can do to make it cool enough?

:( I'm not sure if I can get a bigger hutch, but I'll consider it. I let him out of the hutch frequently so he can run around, if that helps.
As for the larger enclosure on the veranda, is there anything I can do to make it cool enough?

Being let out doesn’t help because any time he is locked in, the hutch isn’t providing enough space. Any area they are locked into needs to meet the minimum 120x60cm welfare requirement

If it’s outside, then its highly unlikely anything you do will be enough. Once it gets 25 degrees or more, then they need to be brought indoors
You can put frozen bottles in his cage but the issue there is that generally if a piggy goes and sit by it, then piggy is already too hot and urgent measures need to be taken to decrease temperature to not risk heat stroke

Well, I guess my only option is to put the bigger enclosure inside. Which is very inconvenient, but I'll have to.

Well, I guess my only option is to put the bigger enclosure inside. Which is very inconvenient, but I'll have to.
It is so difficult in warmer countries, but I would suggest getting rid of the current hutch that is too small, and then that should help make space fo the large one to come in.
It may be inconvenient at first, but it will be much easier in the long run to have him in the cool from the very start of the Summer.
Certainly less stressful that having to constantly monitor things and be brining him in and out.

And please don't feed cold food.
This can damage a piggies sensitive mouth and won't help cool them down at all.
It is the air temperature that is the issue.

I'd keep him inside as it's difficult to keep him cool. For an indoor enclosure, have you considered a C&C cage? They can be made in any shape to better fit a room. You could make it in a L shape if length is an issue.

I think you're right, @Swissgreys. If I get rid of the hutch, there will be space for the much larger enclosure to come inside. I was unaware that the hutch was too small, even to keep him in for short periods of time. :( And thanks for your idea, @Engel but I think my larger cage that use to be on the veranda would fit inside if I got rid of the small hutch. Thank you all for your helpful replies! 😊

Back