Housing

jac13

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Starting to stress now it's starting to get colder my lovely ladies are in 5ft hutch outside with thermal cover what to do with them in winter haven't been able to find shed unless I buy new one have very limited muted space in the house places I thought 4x2 grids might fit won't. Scared to put them in living room as we are a noisy house can I have suggestions what you all do either to insulate hutch well or with little indoor space as I know if I leave it to long to bring in the change in temp is bad for them thanks so much

There is no issue with keeping them outside year round provided the hutch is sheltered and insulated.

- staple silver foil insulation all around the hutch
- add lots of hay inside the hutch. Stuff hides with hay.
- Snugglesafe heat pads
- Put blankets/old duvets/old sleeping bags on the hutch, then put the thermal hutch cover on top of the blankets (so they don’t get wet)
- you can also make a flap of silver foil insulation to pull down over the front of the hutch at night (essential a secondary cover like the thermal cover)
- Half cover the wire doors of the hutch by pinning some plastic sheeting to the outside (helps prevent draughts)

G
There is no issue with keeping them outside year round provided the hutch is sheltered and insulated.

- Snugglesafe heat pads
- Put blankets/old duvets/old sleeping bags on the hutch, then put the thermal hutch cover on top of the blankets (so they don’t get wet)
- you can also make a flap of silver foil insulation to pull down over the front of the hutch at night (essential a secondary cover like the thermal cover)
- Half cover the wire doors of the hutch by pinning some plastic sheeting to the outside

- Snugglesafe heat pads
- Half cover the wire doors of the hutch by pinning some plastic sheeting to the outside (helps prevent draughts)
Great thank you will they still get ventilation ok with the foil and my other fear is not spending as much time with them how do you work around that I know yours are outside

G

Great thank you will they still get ventilation ok with the foil and my other fear is not spending as much time with them how do you work around that I know yours are outside

There should still be ventilation - you don’t pull everything or fit anything tight (except the insulation you can staple to the sides and back).

Mine are in a shed so spending time with them isn’t an issue - I just sit out there with them even if it is raining/snowing.

There should still be ventilation - you don’t pull everything or fit anything tight (except the insulation you can staple to the sides and back).

Mine are in a shed so spending time with them isn’t an issue - I just sit out there with them even if it is raining/snowing.
Great thanks yeah really wish we had one 😢

Can anyone show me what they have done with limited indoor space please really need ideas

Can anyone show me what they have done with limited indoor space please really need ideas

It would help if you could give us an idea of the size and shape you’re playing with.

Two sows need 10 square feet on a single level but it can be L shape for example.
This is where c&c cages are useful as they can be a bit more flexible (that is a 4x2 c&c cage for two sows, and while flexible it cannot be one grid wide though)

So I have found space and brought my hutch indoors please someone tell me they have hutches inside to 🙈

Some people do.
Means you only have to have one enclosure (rather than a separate one for indoor use). Plus it’ll help save your hutch from the ravages of a winter outside.

If not where does everyone buy base for grids in n.ireland if that makes a difference
Some people do.
Means you only have to have one enclosure (rather than a separate one for indoor use). Plus it’ll help save your hutch from the ravages of a winter outside.
Aw that's good I'm on a FB and they are telling me to bad of ventilation in hutches scaring me

If not where does everyone buy base for grids in n.ireland if that makes a difference

Aw that's good I'm on a FB and they are telling me to bad of ventilation in hutches scaring me

You don’t need to use a proper correx base if you decide to do a c&c cage - a shower curtain or plastic sheet is just as good.
If you use a disposable bedding then you can clip the plastic sheeting up the sides (on the outside of the grids) as it helps keep the bedding inside.
Correx can be bought from some DIY shops (wickes, B&Q - although theirs tends to be the thinner 2mm (proper cage kits come with 4mm thick), but as your piggies are outdoor piggies being brought in for winter then the 2mm may suffice).

An outdoor hutch indoors isn’t the conventional way but I’ve seen it done. It should still ventilate sufficiently, perhaps not as well as outside with more air movement though, but it should be ok.

Back