Housing

Natasha baker

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all... I am after some advice, I had 2 sows together for years but sadly one passed away yesterday unexpectedly, so this leaves her sister alone. I also have a lone male, he’s always lived next door to the girls, and I have another cage with 2 un neutered bonded boars, so cages go 2 boars ( un neutered) lone boar and now lone sow, all c and c that are connected IF I tried to bond my neutered boar and sow could they live in a cage next to the other boars or would this affect there relationship. I hope this makes some sort of sense. Iv put a picture so you can see what I mean.

Attachments

• E54B6989-1426-43E7-8808-BE88F592B4F9.webp
    E54B6989-1426-43E7-8808-BE88F592B4F9.webp
    82.3 KB · Views: 14
I’m sorry for your loss.

Have the bonded boars been within smell of sow pheromones for a long time? Boars who are used to sow pheromones tend to have less strong reactions to them. However, I think id err on the side of caution and leave a gap between the bonded boys and the boar/sow cages (if bonding goes well). it would be a shame if they were to have problems being in sight and smell of her. It would also be unwise to allow their cages to be adjoining (without measures such as a lid or increasing the height of the grids between the two cages) as boars can be very determined to escape their cages to get in with a sow. You would not want her to get pregnant by one of the unneutered boys.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply :)
Yeah bonded boys have been in the same set up since they came to us as babies.. so there used to it and obviously used be two sows in the same room, but neutered boar always been in between. I THINK If bonding between sow and boar is successful i will leave the middle cage empty so there not directly next door... and hope for the best.

Thank you for your reply :)
Yeah bonded boys have been in the same set up since they came to us as babies.. so there used to it and obviously used be two sows in the same room, but neutered boar always been in between. I THINK If bonding between sow and boar is successful i will leave the middle cage empty so there not directly next door... and hope for the best.
I imagine they would be absolutely fine like that - their cage will still be the same distance away from the sow/boar and they are used to her so I don’t think anything would happen now . I just, if it were me, wouldn’t feel comfortable moving their cage any closer to her.

I’m so sorry for your loss. I really hope the bonding goes well 🤞. Keep us posted.

Back