Housing size/type

• Thread starter Thread starter Loopylou
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Loopylou

Hi :)
Can you advise me what size/type of housing would be suitable for a pair of guinea pigs. Thanks!

Guineas dont like big ceilings. I have a 3ft temporary hutch, though that is only really suitable for smaller piggies. I have a 5ft and half one for my group of 4. and georgy and fluffly are moving into another one the same length.

Sorry, waht do you mean they don't like big ceilings? Do you mean they don't need them to be very high?

Loopylou said:
Sorry, waht do you mean they don't like big ceilings? Do you mean they don't need them to be very high?

I am not sure what is meant by that either. Hopefully natnat will be along soon to explain.

Mine have pens in a shed so effectively their ceiling is the shed roof which is about 7 ft high!

Guinea pigs don't climb, or stand on their back legs like rabbits do, so don't need a large amount of head room. I go on 2ft being necessary for rabbits and less for pigs

I read somewhere that pigs feel exposed from above because of being a prey animal in the wild. Any height is fine in my opinion as long as they have a roof & plenty on hiding places! My rescue girls are a bit on the odd side because when they get startled they tend to head upwards not into an igloo sor similar 98)

hils78 said:
I read somewhere that pigs feel exposed from above because of being a prey animal in the wild. Any height is fine in my opinion as long as they have a roof & plenty on hiding places! My rescue girls are a bit on the odd side because when they get startled they tend to head upwards not into an igloo sor similar 98)

That makes sense. I think mine are odd though - with the exception of Trixie who is very attached to her fiddlesticks tunnel, all of mine lay out in the open in the shed rather than in the hutches and they also lay out in the open in their runs in the summer.

I also have Tia who quite fancys herself as a bit of a climber. Caught her half way up a grid this morning ;D

I personally feel that if its advertised as being suitable for guinea pigs its usually not - sounds silly but my piggies are in a hutch suitable for a small rabbit. If you've got the space look at the hutches which are two storeys, mine find it useful because when they have an argument they each have their own space.

sorry i havent replied lol.
guineas dont like has high up ceilings (well when i looked up on the internet i was told this,) because they like low ceilings from the predators something to do with the wild!

Loopylou said:
Is there a minimum head height?

The books i've read say a head height of 16" as piggies don't like a lot of space above their heads.
Having said that i think mine are between 18" & 21" high :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back