housing query

Tilly92

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have decided that guineas will be "my pet" .At present the 2 girls have a large outdoor run for "nice " days (ha ha ) they have a 8'x4' run in the conservatory and a small night time cage indoors.I have been thinking of having a Kavee cage (or similar make)in the conservatory , raised so easy access and a storage area. This is a tentative plan and i was wondering about peoples experiences with raised cages . I am in UK

By raised do you mean if if the floor? Kavee cages are C&C cages so the grids on the bottom may need to be zip tied together so that the cage never claps while the piggies are inside. My guinea pigs live in a 2 by 8 raised Kavee cage that I make out of two 2 by 4 raised cages. Only one grid off of the ground would be the most sturdy but I can see 2 grid off of the ground working with proper support. Make sure to the cage inside is 7.5 square feet at bare minimum. They are active just as much at night.

Cages raised by grids are stable. You would want to cable tie them but because of the way they are built on the stand layer, they are stable.
I have done it for a short time. I just found that height wise it was neither here nor there and I actually found it slightly uncomfortable to clean (meant leaning over very slightly but in an uncomfortable way - may just have been because of my height though).

A lot of people raise cages by putting them on a table. It may make it a more comfortable height.
You also don’t have any worries of any instabilities.

My boys are in a raised c & c cage - it’s very strong but ….I have used cable ties to be really secure.
The storage below is really useful.
I also opted for the lid which I can lock (I gave a dog)
I opted for the plexiglass panels at the front

Attachments

• IMG_6617.webp
    IMG_6617.webp
    155.3 KB · Views: 9
We have a c and c cage from Kavee cage it was the best decision, larger and easy to adapt if you wanted to make it bigger or smaller. We have it all cable tied too. Despite it taking a little while to set up and then take apart again if you needed to store it all the grids can be taken off and stored easily. I find it better for mine and my sisters backs too. The girls love having a loft space to hide away in too. 💘

Back