Housing outdoors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My dad is soon to be getting a huge shed. Hopefully.. I might have a smaller shed for Guinea pigs or My dad will section some off for guinea pigs. YAY! I really need some questions answered about them being outside?
What is the min for 2/3 Guinea pigs.?

http://www.rehutches.com/singlehutch01.htm - The one priced: 121.oo pounds. How many guinea pig would be comfortable in this hutch?

Where can I get heat pads from? or anything that will keep them warm during the winter months. Also the shed will have electrisity.

Is there anything else I should know about keeping guinea pigs outside?

Thank you.
Isabella. x

you mean the one that is 5ft long by 2ft wide? 3 pigs could live in there. I love those hutches, if only I had enough money for them ;D

You can google snugglesafe heatpads, these are the only kind I'd use for guineas. In the winter I'd use an oil filled radiator to give off extra heat, you just plug it in! You must remember if the guineas are in the shed for winter, that's where they'll have to stay! No sneaking them into the house for a cuddle, as this is a change in temperature they can't cope with. If you make the shed comfy though (warm and a nice chair, maybe a radio etc) I find I can stay out with mine for ages :)

i keep mine in a shed outside too. The shed is well insulated so i don't use and heating devises. I find that in the winter guinea pigs hair grows a bit thicker natually to keep them warm then in the summer some hair falls out(only a little bit not a major hair loss)! But if they do get really cold than just give them more hay/straw!

Piggies said:
I'm having to save up alot of money for the hutch.. Hopefully it be money well spent.  ;D

it will be as i have a a hutch nearlly the same and it is really good. However the floor can get very wet if you don't put enough flooring down (sawdust/newspaper etc). If this happens to me than i just leave it to dry out on the sun and put some J's fluid down to get rid of any germs! J's fluid is pet friendly as long as you wait for it to dry 1st. Whilee the hutches maybe drying out they could be out munching the grass!!

I have a shed for my piggies and use old towels in the winter over the wire door and then a huge piece of good quality carpet (off cut from local friendly shop!) to cover over the whole hutch - seems to work a treat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back