Housing On Vacation

Skyestar_

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
In a couple of weeks, I'm heading to my grandmother's house for about a week and a half. For a period of the time my family will be there with me but they are leaving after like three days. Since I don't trust my brother completely with their meds and feeding I'm taking my two pigs with me. They've been in the car before but never for as long as this so I'm unsure about that but my main question is do I bring their whole cage with me? It's not a small cage and we are traveling with three children and two adults. Should I try and come up with a different temporary housing or suck it up and bring the big cage? Thanks for your help and consideration!

How big is the cage? Ideally you dont want to house them in anything less than 120cm, but something a little smaller might be OK for a few days, especially if they will be able to have some free roaming time at your grandmothers. If they are travelling in a carrier perhaps you could pack other things into the cage like a suitcase. Of course it depends how big your car is too!

What cage are they currently in?
If it is something like a C&C which will fold up small for travel then take it.
If it is more difficult to transport then it might be worth looking at alternatives.

If you can't fit your usual cage in, perhaps you could try buying one of those collapsible pet playpens? That would take up hardly any space in the car, and would also be able to be moved around in your grandmother's house if necessary. A couple of members on here have used/use them. I'll try and find one of the threads mentioning them ...

What cage are they currently in?
If it is something like a C&C which will fold up small for travel then take it.
If it is more difficult to transport then it might be worth looking at alternatives.
They are currently in a Living World Deluxe sized cage. It's about 44'' x 22''

How big is the cage? Ideally you dont want to house them in anything less than 120cm, but something a little smaller might be OK for a few days, especially if they will be able to have some free roaming time at your grandmothers. If they are travelling in a carrier perhaps you could pack other things into the cage like a suitcase. Of course it depends how big your car is too!
My grandmother doesn't really care for animals or any of the pets that I have in my house. The only reason she let me bring them at all was because I didn't feel comfortable leaving them with my brother. Her one condition was that they don't leave the cage so I can't really give them more floor time like they have at home.

Ok so I've decided to buy one of the collapsible cages but I'm not sure how big it should be. Any suggestions? In terms of like diameter

Back