Housing in winter

• Thread starter Thread starter next_croc-hunter?
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

next_croc-hunter?

Hi I'm liam and I'm about to get two cavys, i live in north east england in middlesbrough (near North yorkshire) and i heard you can keep cavys out side during winter, provided they don't get wet and are given extra hay ect. as they do live in the andes nativley it is very cold during night times, i could keep them in my shed but we have a petrol lawnmower and the garge is too clutered but if the lawn mower is off will it emmit fumes? and will they be alright utside as it seems nicer for them not to be stuck in a shed all winter.

thanks for all answers :)

Liam

i'd go with putting them in the shed for sure, keeps them out of the wind and rain, not sure about the lawn mower, but couldn't you squeeze it into your garage?

Yeah, I agree, the shed is nicer for them (so long as you visit them reguarly), but if the lawnmower does give off fumes then they will be toxic to you poor guineas-so you have to move the mower. The guineas are more important :)

I was thinking of using a hutch hugger for the winter but I'm not sure? I can bring the girls in the house and have the boys in the shed, maybe make a cage for them myself as the door is only narrow and I won't get a hutch through the door and the shed is too small to erect a hutch in the house! (Its really a play shed for the girls)

I think making a cage is the way to go but would it be ok in a shed?

Thanks!

Louise
:)

Hutch huggers are great-I have to keep my guineas uotside unless it is literally snowing, and I found these really great :)

Ideally I would prefer hutch huggers, it would take a lot of messing to get everything out of the shed into the utlity but I'd do it if I had to! :)

Louise

maisydaisystar said:
i'd go with putting them in the shed for sure, keeps them out of the wind and rain, not sure about the lawn mower, but couldn't you squeeze it into your garage?
You could cover the lawnmower with a heavy duty plastic ;) its would be better for the piggies to live in a shed during the winter nicer for you when cleaning them out too ;)

Thanks i will cover the lawnmower with heavy duty plastic that should be easy to get as both my parents work for the counsil ;)
thanks all and pumpkinpiggie for your answer has helped with the lawn mower crisis!

Thanks O0 for your answers hope to be asking again (or not if it is illness)

Liam :)

My guinea pigs have to stay outside over winter, i ahve 3 different cvers over them keeping them warm now and will give them big piles of hay and heat pads. I want to put them inthe shed but it's my dads and it's literally so packed you can barleyy get in for there food :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back