Housing in Hot Weather

oliveandmabel

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Anticipating the hot weather over the next few days, I am aware that my pigs cannot stay in their hutch.
We have an old dog crate that we can bring them inside in over the hottest hours in the day, but it is quite small from memory (I haven’t seen it in a while but am getting it from my grandparents later).
Even if it is small, is this better than leaving them in a hot hutch all day? I’m unsure of what to do as this is my only option to be able to bring them inside. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

I believe I am collecting the crate later on today so can attach a picture of it later.

Before my piggies moved indoors, I had an XXL dog crate that my used for my piggies during hot / cold weather and that was for 4 pigs.

I'm sure they will be fine for a few days as an emergency. Far better than them baking in a hucth

Before my piggies moved indoors, I had an XXL dog crate that my used for my piggies during hot / cold weather and that was for 4 pigs.

I'm sure they will be fine for a few days as an emergency. Far better than them baking in a hucth
Thank you for your advice, were the bars small enough that they couldn’t get through?

I see no problems for a couple of days considering its for there safety and wellbeing

Do you have an outdoor run?
That could be another option, you would just need to line your floor with something absorbent

Bringing them indoors is essential in the heat - in whatever you can!
The outdoor run, dog crate or even the bath tub if it comes to it

My boys live in my shed and their indoor cage is c&c grids cable tied together (all except the end two grids p) with a sheet on plastic put on the floor. It makes for a quick and easy temporary cage in either too hot or too cold conditions

Back