Housing for my Piggys (Need help)

• Thread starter Thread starter Conor
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Conor

Ok so at the moment I have to guinea pigs. Meg and Chester, Sow and Boar. Meg the sow is pregnant and I was wanting to keep a few of her babies and sell the rest to the pet shop. But I'm not sure how to work out the hosuing for them and what sex guinea pigs to keep. Can I please have some help? O0 O0

people will recommend you not to sell the piggies to the pet shop.

well if both your piggys are on their own now, why not keep a sow to stay with mum, and a boar to go with dad. thats if you have more than 1 baby piggy, and they are mixed genders

Why on earth did you let them breed if you're only going to sell them to a pet shop where for all you know they could end up as snake food?

daftscotslass said:
Why on earth did you let them breed if you're only going to sell them to a pet shop where for all you know they could end up as snake food?

I'm with you DSL on this one. The thought of the little bubs going to a scarey pet shop and who might buy them is awful. I'm not sure if you bred them intentionally or whether she came to you pregnant, but please make sure they go to perfect homes. I'm sure someone on here would be able to sort something out to make sure these precious liittle babies are well looked after and find a forever home.

Hi there and welcome
If I was you I would try and bond a baby boar with dad :) if there are no baby boars have dad neutered then he can live with a group of Sows. You may only have a small litter so you might not need to rehome any at all. We are all here to help you but many of us are against intentional breeding as there are far to many guinea pigs,Rabbits ect stuck in rescues. But if it was not intended and you got your pigs after being told they were the same sex then sorry to hear your in this position.
Please do not be put off posting on here because some of the comments have been a little hard on you on this thread so far.

Hi Conor,

I agree with Michelle, I would pair up Dad with a boar and mum can live with her daughters. Any left well I wouldn't give to pet shop but I would ask here there are always people wanting guineas. :)

Any idea on how many Meg is having? Good luck with them and please don't be put off here, a lot of people do feel passionate about this sort of thing (me included!) :)

Take care,

Lousie
:)

I agree with the others about not selling to a petshop...please don`t do that :)
If Chester & Meg are still together, you should seperate them. You should only need 2 cages really for now, one for mum and her bubs when they are born and one for dad. You could put the cages next to eachother so they can still interact.
You wont know what you are dealing with until they are born but as has been said, boar can go in with dad and sows with mum. If she has a large litter, there are people on here that can offer loving homes :)

I agree wth everyone else, i dont really understand your situation, wether it was intentional or not but please dont sell them to pet shops, they deserve more than that. Give them to people on here who know what they're doing. Petshops could sell them to anyone and they could end up as snake food or as some childs unwanted pet left at the bottom of the garden all alone for the rest of they're life. Please don't do that to them x

I agree with them-once they're born put an ad on here for the bubs you want to sell and they're sure to go to good homes O0

Without starting another thread can someone tell me what International Breeding means?

Thanks!

SunshineAndTwinkle said:
Without starting another thread can someone tell me what International Breeding means?

Thanks!
It should be Intentional Not international ::)

Please dont consider selling the babies to pet shops :(

ROFL Graham! I really should wear my specs when reading forums! :D 98) I even looked it up online!

I've just come back from our local pet shop where I saw the dead hamster last week and where I got Sunshine from, they have loads of crested boars in. They are so tiny, younger than 10 weeks they look no younger than 4/6. So sad.

Pet shops are horrible! Nobody should intentionally breed to sell to pet shops!

Hi, Try and bond any boars with Dad, as for rehoming you could post on here or ask a rescue perhaps to refer people to you that want young boars (not all rescues do this, though).

Don't sell to pet shops, they may not even want them. I've had babies here that the pet shop wouldn't take. ::)

You must take away the male babies at 3 weeks old or else they are able to breed their mother. If u have boars they will need a bigger cage for both of them. If u keep the sows they can stay with the mother or can be sold at 4 weeks old. If your sow is over 7 months old and has never had a litter she is at a high risk for dysteria and can die during pregnancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back