Housing for 2 guinea pigs

kleaker2012

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting my 8 year old daughter Guinea pigs and looking at making a home underneath the stairs but was wondering if 90cm length x 60cm height by 55cm depth (there would be an empty space of around 45cm depth by 90cm length behind the cage if there's a way of including this space for a run around, would this be big enough? We have plenty of space outside during spring and summer holidays for exercise but want to keep them inside for comfort for the guinea pigs.

:wel:

No I’m afraid the measurements you state - 90 length x 55 depth is not big enough.
(35cm in height it usually plenty though)

Two sows need a minimum welfare size of 120x60cm but 150x60cm is recommended.
Two boars need 180x60cm as they need more room.
Measurements need to all be on a single level. Upper levels to cages are bonus spaces only and don’t count towards the cage size. Piggies are ground roaming creatures.

this is our cage size
Cage Size Guide

If you are planning on rescuing piggies, then it is best to talk to the rescue Centre prior to buying any cages. Rescues have to approve your set up so you don’t want to buy something and then find it isn’t suitable.

Do look at the housing section of the forum as there are galleries of cages on there which you may find helpful. Do note that as the threads are older, earlier cages in the thread may no longer be considered suitable due to advice moving on.

You may also find this thread useful as a new/prospective owner
New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection

I'm looking at getting my 8 year old daughter Guinea pigs and looking at making a home underneath the stairs but was wondering if 90cm length x 60cm height by 55cm depth (there would be an empty space of around 45cm depth by 90cm length behind the cage if there's a way of including this space for a run around, would this be big enough? We have plenty of space outside during spring and summer holidays for exercise but want to keep them inside for comfort for the guinea pigs.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

It’s great that you are doing your research before getting any piggies. I can’t wait to see pictures of them when they finally arrive and are all settled in. 😍

If you could buy C&C type grids you could customise to fit the space you have provided you don’t need a lid because of other pets like cats and dogs.
Look on Amazon

Attachments

• 1712254844960.webp
    1712254844960.webp
    39.4 KB · Views: 1
Back