housing and mites

oreoandcoco

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
my pigs both got mites and i was trying to keep them separated because i thought that if they were together they would keep giving eachother mites. they’ve both gotten 2 weeks worth of treatment, when can i put them together again?

If they are both being treated then there is no risk in them being together (in fact leaving them together is easier for you as it only means one lot of disinfecting the cage after each treatment rather than having to clean two cages every time). There is no need to keep piggies with mites apart.
Treatment is usually three separate treatments.
You can put them together whenever you like but don’t forget as theyve been separated they need to be properly rebonded

Okay thank you so much, I'm going to give them floortime for a long time today then put them in the cage together

Okay thank you so much, I'm going to give them floortime for a long time today then put them in the cage together

Make sure the area you reintroduce them in is neutral and that the cage is thoroughly cleaned down also

yeah i’ve cleaned their cage on each day they’ve gotten treatment

No I mean clean the cage before you put the piggies back in it together after rebonding.
You don’t want a cage to smell of either piggy as they will see it as their territory (if you are using one of the cages they lived in when they were separated)

No I mean clean the cage before you put the piggies back in it together after rebonding.
You don’t want a cage to smell of either piggy as they will see it as their territory (if you are using one of the cages they lived in when they were separated)
ohhh okay i see what you mean now, i definitely will thanks

I'm not sure if it changes anything but should i wait to clean it until next time they get treatment? (wednesday) and do bonding then?

You said you were going to do floor time yesterday in your last post. If you have already put them together, then do not separate them.

If you havent put them together, then you can do the bonding whenever you want.
Generally you don’t clean the cage until a couple of days after treatment, so if you are doing treatment on Wednesday, then clean the cage out and do the bonding on Thursday or Friday

You said you were going to do floor time yesterday in your last post. If you have already put them together, then do not separate them.

If you havent put them together, then you can do the bonding whenever you want.
Generally you don’t clean the cage until a couple of days after treatment, so if you are doing treatment on Wednesday, then clean the cage out and do the bonding on Thursday or Friday
okay thanks! i’ll do bonding on thursday

Back