Hot Weather! Am I Doing The Right Thing?

Cavy Lover

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I haven't been on here recently as I've been really busy with exams and school and just life in general.

So far the summer in Ireland has been roasting. It is currently 23 degrees and the sun is out. I'm just wondering am I doing the right thing with keeping my guinea pigs cool.

At the moment they are outside in their run. They have a wooden shelter which they can go into which completely blocks out the sun. On the outside part of their run I have put a towel over so they are not exposed to any direct sunlight. I have also given them two water bottles with wet cloths over them to keep the water cold.

Is there anything else I can do? I am currently looking after my friends six pigs and my own three so I could really do without any pigs getting heat stroke.

If there is any breeze at all, you could wet the towels that you have draped over the run. This will cool the air as it blows into the run, which will help. There are other hints in a special thread also - look at the moving banner at the top of the page to go straight to it.
Dull and breezy over here in Birmingham - my piggies are staying firmly indoors!

Back