• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hot & Cold

• Thread starter Thread starter GPig
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GPig

I am interested in getting a Guinea pig. I was just wondering about how it would do in the summer time and the winter. :-\
I am usually gone for 12 hours Mon-Fri. So, there's no heat on, and I don't have an air conditioner.
I could put out extra water in the summer, but I don't know if that would be enough.
I'm looking for some advice, I would like to have a guinea pig, but only if I can properly care for one.

Thanks
Jenny :)

hey! welcome to the forum!

In summer i put frozen bottles of water in the cage (not the drinking water though) so they can sloth on them when they get too hot and in winter i put a blanket over part of their cage to keep in nice and snug. You can also get these hot water bottles i hink for them or heat bags just make sure ts not too hot....

Hope this helped!

Bye xx

That's interesting about the frozen water bottles. Do you have to cover the bottles in any way to prevent frost-burn or are the piggies fine because they have a fur coat?

if you half fill a 500ml bottle with water, freeze it and put an old sock over it to stop the piggies sticking to it! ;D

thinking about the freezing bottle made me smile rememberring the time Max my dog had a lick of an ice lolly to find his tongue stuck to it, we had pour warm water on it to release him, ;D

michellemuffin said:
thinking about the freezing bottle made me smile rememberring the time Max my dog had a lick of an ice lolly to find his tongue stuck to it, we had pour warm water on it to release him, ;D

Oh no! that's funny. Must remember the sock on frozen bottle trick this Summer.

Thank you for the info.
I'm just concerned that the water wouldn't stay cool long enough.

I wouldn't be able to replenish it, with being gone for 12 hours every mon-Fri.
Any other suggestions.

newpiggies said:
That's interesting about the frozen water bottles. Do you have to cover the bottles in any way to prevent frost-burn or are the piggies fine because they have a fur coat?

never thought of that... lol

Mum is home during the day while I'm at school so she puts fresh ones in throughout the day. We have a 'guinea + rabbit' freezer lol its full of bottles ;D

How about a larger bottle - would the ice take longer to melt then? And plenty of shade and ventilation.

I would say it would last longer... we have small and large bottles and the bigger ones definatly do last a bit longer ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back