Hosuing in a garage

• Thread starter Thread starter demson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

demson

I owned many guinea pigs about 8 years ago and they lived indoors in my house, However my new partner is not an animal lover and won't let me have a pet in the house...

We have a lovely garden and patio where a couple of guinea pigs could have fun. My delimma is I could only have guines pigs in a hutch inside the garage. In the summer this is fine but I am concerned about winter.
Our garage gets very cold, would they be okay, also being outside how do you cope with insects and mites etc?

Thanks

Dawn

Hello

I have pigs indoors, outside and in a shed - but I don't have a garage! I think a garage is ok as long as it is not used for a car, because of the fumes. Damp is more of a problem than cold, generally.

Could you have a shed in your garden?

Your partner might come round to the idea once he's met them!

Sophie
x

Our garage is used for storage so no cars but yes in winter is does get cold and damp. I thought about getting a radiator (my friend has one that just plugs in and hangs on the wall).

Won't it be freezing for the little buddies being in a hutch totally outdoors and what about beetles like earwigs that thrive in the crevices of wood and spiders? I am scared of beetles and spiders.

Cheers

Dawn

The main problem about them being in an unheated area is taking care of them - temperature fluctuations can kill so you wouldn't be able to bring them in for cuddles and would have to be prepared to sit in the garage with them if you wanted to handle them. Cold and damp will not do anything to keep a pig healthy, unfortunately.

You would really need to look into draught/damp proofing and heating with a thermostat if you're serious about it (in my opinion, anyway).

Mine had an oil filled radiator (one you just plug in) plus they were in a tounge and groove hutch, which had correx and bubble wrap attached to the outside, and had rugs on top at night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back