hormonal sows

• Thread starter Thread starter piggy power
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

piggy power

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and I hope someone can help. We currently have 3 sows, Muff (3), Fluff(3) and Mungo(2). Muff and Fluff seem to be very hormonal and every few weeks spend most of there time mounting each other, and trying to mount Mungo.

Is this normal?

We are thinking of getting a neutured male (from a rescue) to try and calm them down a bit. What do you think?

Janet

I have a neutered male and a female (2 sets) and when they're in season its still like all hell has broken loose in the cage. Chasing, mounting, rumbling and squeeking :o ;D

I did exactly what you want to do. I had three females, two of which are particularly dominant. They were picking on the third girl so I adopted a neutered boar from a rescue. Initially it was a huge clash of personalities and introductions were tricky but things settled down very quickly. Bart, the male, will now strut around the girls whenever they're acting hormonal, but he still gets mounted by them on occasion, too!

Thanks so much for your reply.

The girls have been at it already this morning!

I don't know where they get their enery from. If sun comes out today, I might try and get them out on the grass or a few hours.

It might take their minds of other things :smitten:

oooh good luck! My sow Emily went through a terrible teens stage but luckily grew out of it. I don't think I could have coped if it went on for a couple of years!
It sounds like it could be a good idea introducing a neutered boar. Make sure you have one who's up to the job - my big boy Spud has been known to reverse away from a feisty 8 week old baby! wuss!

The girls are inside for the winter still. They are in a 5ft cage, but spend every evening roaming around the living room and dining room. (Pooing behing my settee !)

Can't wait for the weather to get better so that they can move back outside into piggy palace. (5ft x 7ft summer house)

I think we will go and visit the rescue centre later in the week ! ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back