• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hope someone can help :( scabs on nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

amberdrew

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I recently got a new guinea pig and I noticed around 3 days ago he had a small scab on his nose so I thought I'd keep an eye on it. Anyway, he's been getting more scabs the last few days and today has some bloody areas. The hair is coming off as well :( when I just got him, he had weird stubbly hair on his nose and it was a tiny bit patchy but nothing noticeable. Now these scabs and sores have started and all the hair is coming off. Does anyone have a clue what it is? Do you think it requires a vet? I'm really worried :(

This could possibly be a fungal which is easily treated though it could be from fighting with other piggies. Best to make an appointment at the vets & they will treat it accordingly.

Definitely looks fungal.

Fungal infections usually start on the face (Particularly around the nose) as patchy, itchy hair loss and progress into crusty scab-like sores or dandruff.
As for treatment, I'd consult your veterinarian. They'll most likely prescribe you with a topical anti-fungal cream.
Hoping he makes a speedy recovery x

Last edited:
It looks like fungal to me, too; it often starts as a scab. Please have him seen by a vet as soon as you can; you may need to bathe his companion, too, as a prevention.
here is more information on fungus: http://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

Make sure that you use good hygiene, as some forms of fungal, like ringworm, can easily spread to other mammals (including humans); the incubation period is about 10-14 days. For disinfection, I would recommend an antifungal disinfectant like F10, as most normal disinfectants are only antibacterial. They also do a hand gel, but using disposable gloves and an apron or special old pullover when treating is also a good idea. Wash any fabrics at a minimum of 60 C. Always feed and treat the affected piggy last.

I agree, definitely looks like Fungal to me too and a vet visit is needed. It looks sore too so maybe ask the vet about pain relief such as Metacam?

Thanks for the replies! Managed to get a vet appointment at 10.30 so took him in and the lady said she thinks its either ringworm or some other fungal infection. Have to treat both piggies because of incubation period etc. She plucked out all the hairs on the 'wound' area so it was clear for treatment and he squealed his little head off. Was so upsetting to watch :(

The vet gave me some topical cream and a liquid which has to be given by syringe. Have to take him back in on Sunday for a check up!

Last edited:
Glad the appointment went well, it's good that she has removed the infected hair. Do you know the names of the cream and liquid?

Glad the appointment went well, it's good that she has removed the infected hair. Do you know the names of the cream and liquid?

Thanks :) The cream is Canesten and the liquid is Itrafungol.

They don't seem to be helping too much just yet- maybe because every time I put the cream on, my little piggy decides it's time to groom that side of his face and remove everything I've just put on!

Brilliant that you have been given Itrafungol. Am not a fan of Canesten except for mild fungal nose strips but hopefully it will work. The other thing you can do is put a mild Imaverol solution on it daily.

Itrafungol is a systemic fungal treatment; it should work within a few days. Canesten 2% cream has worked for fungal piggies of mine in conjuction with either systemic fungal or fungal baths/dips (the best of which for ringworm turned out to be imaverol, which you can order over the internet).

The thing with ringworm is that it has to get worse before it gets better. The affected area is bigger than you can see. All the affected hair needs to come out, as the fungus also sits at the roots of hair. If it stays in, it can start up again.

I have found that imaverol dips help well with ringworm in the affected areas and makes it much easier to remove the affect hair.

Please be extra careful when handling your piggies and in disinfecting their cage and everything in it ideally now and at the end of the treatment again! Make extra sure that you wash/disinfect your hands and also take care with any fabrics that come into contact. I once managed to carry the infection back through a pullover I used during the treatment. If you develop any very burning-itchy spots that are fainly pink rimmed, please see your gp or a pharmacist asap.

Here are some pics of piggies of mine to show you how ringworm evolves. My piggies have treated straight away and were responding to treatment promptly, yet the fungal had to run its due course:

Start: often with a scab in the face that looks like a scabbed over scratch; here the area between the scab and eye is starting to be affected as well.

Furthest extent, after imaverol dip; you can see the area where affected hair has newly come off.

Furthest extent, healing off:

Healing off: hair is growing back in the parts that were attacked first

Last edited:
Thanks a lot everyone for the replies :)

The infection is looking so much better now! 6 days left of treatment.

Can't see the infection that clearly as I didn't take these photos to specifically show the infection but can see the hair is growing back and it's not nearly as bad as the first photo:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back