Hoover Dilemma With New Piggies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeykins

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Our gorgeous girly piggies came home yesterday, they seem to be settling in well, and are happy to explore the cage and be out when we are nearby, but hide when I open the cage to feed etc.....

But, today I HAVE to Hoover the area around their cage - and this area will need hoovering most days....... I don't want to terrify the little girlies, so I need help on picking the lesser of two evils from the following two options:

1) Hoover quickly around the cage, and hope that they get used to it! Although this seems so mean!

2) Transfer them to their outdoor run/hutch for some grass time, it's a dry and warm day here, and if it wasn't for the fact that they only came home yesterday they would be having grass time today

I'm a bit of a worried new piggie mum lol!

Jo x

At first they'll run & hide but after a couple of weeks they should be oblivious to it. Ours don't bother at all now.

You could possibly give them a little treat after hoovering & they would then associate it with something nice.

Ours popcorn when the Hoover comes out! Think I recall a few other people on here have the same reaction with their piggies too!

Give them a nice selection of veggies and do some test runs with the Hoover at the same time to judge their reactions. They might be a bit nervy at first but with gentle and regular exposure to the noise they should get used to it. Perhaps start hoovering in the next room too so the sound isn't quite as loud to begin with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back