Honey's They're Home! Any Advice Welcomed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todite88

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
13590513_1139137926108843_382099863368958170_n.webp
Here are our boys!

They came home with us today :)

When we got home I lifted them out of the carrier so my eldest could have a quick pet of them both one at a time.

She's a little nervous with them so I'm going to be working with her in building her confidence and using the cuddle pouches for lap time for a while. So she and they can get used to each other.

I wasn't given much information on the pair as the rescue don't really have much.

When we put them in Jack (that's what I'm calling the black one my daughter will be changing his name as soon as she's though tof one lol) ran striaght for the tunnel and bedroom compartment Popeye just sat in a corner of the hutch having a good ol sniff. We left them to settle and popped to the local garden centre for a few hours. On return Popeye was in the same corner so I kind of ushered him into the bedding part of the hutch that contains lots of hay and Jack his pal feeling happier if they are together and thought maybe he was too scared to move off hiw own acord.

I've spent weeks reading through this forum and now I feel like everythings gone blank in my head so re reading everything lol. I've put them in hay and fresh water and pellets and I'm goign to give them half of their veg in the morning and half at around 6pm tomorrow.. This will be the easiest routine to stick to with work etc.

Leaving them in peace is obviously the way forward.. Do I let them adjust to their new home for a few days before we handle them? Or is a little bit of handling twice a day acceptable from the get go starting litterally with a few minutes .. Going to offer them some apple tomorrow then tomatoes Weds figured they might love the fruit that much it's a good one to offer from the hand? Sorry long post but I'm a right rookie lol

TIA for any advice in helping them get settled

Clo, Krystal little Elsie Popeye and Jack :)

Gorgeous piggies!! Well done for giving them a forever home :D

I always let mine settle for at least a week with no handling what so ever or longer depending on the piggy some are more confident than others and tolerate it better. Just do spot cleaning for a couple of days too singing or talking gently as you do they will get used to hearing your voice and eventually this will help them know your voice is not something to be scared of, if I walk into my living room singing all 8 of my piggies start wheeking lol

I would always say patience is key with piggies they will trust you a lot quicker if you take it slow and not rush them! Enjoy your piggies xx

Definitely leave them for a few days if they seem nervous. Only put your hands in the cage to clean out poops etc, top up water, top up hay, put down veg.
Give them at least 4 days of no handling. If they still seem really scared after that consider extending it to a week. If after a few hours today you notice they're still not moving around their cage consider covering part of it with a towel or blanket to make them feel safer while they get to know their new surroundings.

Okey dokey guys thanks for the advice, will give them their space. It's a lot for them to take in all the new surroundings noises, smells etc we're looking forward to seeing their personalities develop.. We might have a name for the black one.. We're possibly thinking Captain :) x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back