Homeade Cage Liners?

Piggies06

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! I have recently started researching to make my own fleece cage liners for my two pigs. I have had no trouble finding some fleece to use, but my struggle right now is finding the absorbent layer to put inside the fleece. Are there any recommendations for absorbent materials to put inside cage liners?
Also I am wondering about the smell factor. My pigs have paper bedding right now, which contains smell pretty well. I tried using liners previously in my cage, but after 1 day they started to literally reek with smell. Any tips on this?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

A mattress protector works. I believe zorb or u-haul blankets are commonly used in the US
If you can’t find anything to stitch in then it can sometimes be easier to lay puppy pads down first and then simply lay a single layer of fleece on top. This can make washing easier than proper liners as a single layer of fleece is lighter than a fully sewn together liner (depending on cage size it’s recommended to have several smaller liners for a cage rather than one liner that fits the cage as it can unbalance the washing machine). You can get washable incontinence pads rather than puppy pads if you want to reduce waste.

A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

'Zorb original' is what I use: I've bought from Ab Fab textiles and Cuddle Plush fabrics here in the UK so I hope it would be cheaper over there as you don't have to import it! It comes in different widths - allow for a bit of shrinkage.

There's different types of Zorb but some of them are designed for use against the skin without being contained in fleece (like for nappies etc) so they feel softer but stay wet - I like the original one because it's absorbent but liners dry fast after washing. Make mini versions for pee-pads and you'll be away!

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

I went online and bought non-quilted moving pads. It looks like a bunch of fabric smooshed together. If you do use this, make sure you prewash it a couple of times on hot as it shrinks. I use this as my absorbent layer for my fleece liners. Personally, I have found that the anti-pill plush fleece is easier to sweep and clean rather than blizzard fleece.

Back