• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

home remedies for uti?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 154866
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    uti
D

Deleted member 154866

i’m worried my guinea pig ten has a uti, she peed pink the day before yesterday and was squeaking while going to the potty. then yesterday she seemed to have clear pee and no signs of pain (I only tested once since I can’t tell from her cage bedding). but today she has pinkish pee again (+squeaking while peeing), and when i pick her up her bum is always slightly wet.
IMG_9686.webpIMG_9712.webpIMG_9714.webp
is this a uti and if so, can i treat it at home? my parents are so against me taking her to the vet for some reason so i wanted to try this first. thank you so much!

We don't advocate home remedies on this Forum. We always recommend a vet visit if you suspect anything is wrong with your piggy. We are not vets and it is against UK Law to recommend any home treatments.

There are 5 welfare needs of a pet these are:-
  • live in a suitable environment.
  • eat a suitable diet.
  • exhibit normal behaviour patterns.
  • be housed with, or apart from, other animals.
  • be protected from pain, suffering, injury and disease.
Your guinea pig really needs to be seen by a vet. If you are under 18 then your parents have a duty of care to your guinea pig and so need to take your piggy to a vet.

I’m sorry your piggy is feeling unwell. Tell your parents that if they leave it to get worse then it will cost more to cure in the long run. If it’s a simple UTI she may only need pain meds and antibiotics for a short while. Good luck I hope you can convince them that she needs a vet appointment. Do you have your own money to pay? Could someone else take you there?

A true UTI requires antibiotics to resolve, however cystitis may only require some pain relief, both will need to be prescribed by a vet for proper dosing, and to get the correct medication (some antibiotics that can be found over the counter can be fatal for guinea pigs, such as penicillin based ones, or stronger concentrations than those that have doses available online)

As said above, it will be cheaper to go now than later if it becomes worse, as I can see in your photos your piggies poops are starting to become pointed and are heading towards stasis poops. This means the pain and/or infection is causing a reduction in your piggies intake of hay, eventually this will lead to full on gut stasis where they will require medications to restart the gut movements, regular syringe feeds as stasis is often coupled with a complete loss of appetite which will need to be done every few hours.

Pain while passing urine can also cause them to not fully empty their bladder each time which can result in the development of bladder stones, another expensive complication as this will require surgery.

I dont want to alarm you but do show your parents our responses so they understand the importance of having this treated sooner rather than later. I hope your piggy is feeling better soon, UTIs are easily treated and fairly inexpensive as far as vet bills go, fingers crossed you can have her seen.

I can only echo what has been said already. A UTI will need professional treatment. One of my boys has a tendency to get them and I don't let him get to a point of squeaking in pain constantly, one obviously painful wee and I get him to the vet.
Remember these are prey animals so they must be in a lot of pain if they can't hide it.

Please ensure you see a vet. There is no home treatment and we don’t recommend any attempt to home treat anything - you can so easily make things worse by either giving the wrong thing, something which won’t help or by simply delaying vet treatment. Delaying getting treatment or attempting to home treat can result in secondary medical issues.
It’s always best to get to a vet straight away for the sake of your piggy but also to help prevent the issue becoming a lot more expensive.

Eriathwen is right - poops in the picture are looking pointed.
Please switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead ensure you weigh her daily while you have health concerns about her. This is the only way to ensure your piggy is eating enough hay. As hay is three quarters of their daily food intake then even a small reduction in the amount they eat will show in weight loss. This weight loss must be stopped by you stepping in with syringe feeding a fibre rich recovery feed such as oxbow critical care or in an emergency, using mushed pellets.
Piggies can stop eating enough hay because they are feeling unwell and in pain.

The guides below explain syringe feeding and the need for weight checks

Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

Back