• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Home Made Syringe Feed

• Thread starter Thread starter mutton chops
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mutton chops

I used this on Furbie for quite a while until she got too bad and I had to put her down :'( .

Thought I'd share this with you if your pig has trouble eating. Obviously it's not ideal and may not be the solution but it kept Furbie alive for quite a while. I'm open to suggestions on modifying it if you find any faults.

My pigs love eating it and it can be used as a bit of a treat too!

Use the blender to turn some of their usual dry food into a fine powder.

Get some fruit/veg juice (probably better if sugar/additive free) or you can make your own by blending their fave veg/fruit up, maybe adding a little extra water.

Shake/mix them up together. Try not to make it too thin as you don't want to give them runny poop. Remember though, it has to be able to be sucked up by a syringe.

I add extra some vit c to the mix too. I used just the normal dissolvable ones you put in your water.

Feed this to them as often as possible and let them have as much as they want.

My pigs will happily eat this without being wrapped up in a towel from the syringe, but others may be more difficult.

It's quick and easy to make, especially if you store some dry food that's already been powdered.

Hope this helps.

hey yeah i did that, i also boiled up some veg until it was soft enough to be whizzed up and not leave lumps let it cool and stir into their critical care/science recovery it makes it go down much easier because it tastes nice :)

Good idea but I'd like to add a couple of things. Rather than fruit juice I would use either water or rehydration fluid (dioralyte). The juices often have more additives and sugar (even in natural juices) than the pig needs. Be very wary of the soluble vitamin C - some of these contain sweeteners that act as laxatives which aren't good if you already have a pig not eating. They need 6g of dry food per 100g of body weight per day.

It's good for use in emergencies or if CC or SR aren't available in certain countries but I would always recommend that people have the proper stuff to hand.

gucci had it fine, she loved it..it was either that or leave her to starve cus she hated the taste of critical care and her pellets mushed downand because i couldnt feed her any other way but syringe and everything gets stuck (my whizzer was awful and gave me lumps) so i boiled it down, no problems for gucci she loved it.

Well good on you, you found something that worked and as we remember you did so well for so long... it was not meant to be... but gee i still reckon you did great love O0 :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back