Holly leaves

Sally Newbie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi. does anyone know if holly leaves are poisonous please? One of our Guinea pigs ate half a one today.

Yes, they are potentially poisonous. Keep a keen eye on your piggie for 24 hours. If you are at all concerned by any change in health or well be8nh then contact a vet ASAP x

Mine eat old ivy leaves which are no good for them. The garden is surrounded by ivy and I pick up everything before I put them on the grass but then some bird flaps in the greenery and more drop in! They go especially for the old brown ones but will also eat the others. They all eat them and I've not seen any issues. The only poor pig that ever had a problem was a girl who got a fallen long brown stalk of verbena (bonariensis) which wasn't touched when green and fresh but presumably it doesn't taste so bad when dead. It fell onto the top of the run and she must have pulled it through. She was nursed through the night with a syringe but she was fine the next morning and I dug out that plant!

My husband reminded me that our rabbit used to eat holly with no issues for many years even though it is meant to be poisonous. However, the amount of stress by one of the pigs eating half an old brown one means it won't happen again!

Back