Hoggie's bonding - should probably come with Over 18s warning! 🤣

MunchMummy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry all...I know I'm becoming a serial poster on here but since Daisy's illness...I'm playing a game of piggy jigsaw puzzle to make sure everyone is happily bonded!

Hoggie came from a rescue which took him in after a Pets at Home breeder went bust 😡. Almost 3, his bonding with disabled pig Daisy failed. Today we arr bonding with 2 year old girls Sophie and Dorothy.

I've read all the bonding info on here which has helped and answered several questions already. However, I just wanted to check that this sounds like it's going OK.

Hoggie has attempted to have his way with both girls but Dorothy has been very clear that she is happy to be the underpig. Mostly laying down away from them but coming up to eat hay together at times. When Hoggie approaches she squeaks alot and when he sniffs her bottom she pees in his face and he leaves her be. Delightful!

Dominant sow Sophie initially was trying to stay dominant and on what seemed like Hoggie's 70th attempt at a mount, she told him off with a brief scuffle...both unharmed and there was no injury at all.

Since then, Sophie has become more vocal and has allowed Hoggie to have his way with her at least 6 or 7 times...ah...actually make that 8! The dude is seriously having the time of his life! Nobody has told him he doesn't have the right equipment anymore!

I think this means Sophie has given up her play for being top pig? Also now Hoggie is trying it on with Dorothy again who is still squeaking and spraying in his face!

At times Hoggie will fully lay down and recline next to either Sophie or Dorothy (fully expecting him to pull out a cigarette!) What does this mean?

This has all happened in the space of just under an hour. The girls are now busy eating hay (which has gone from a nice pile in the middle of the pen to strewn all over!) And Hoggie has laid down for a well-earned nap!

I think this is going to be OK? I'm hopeful as we don't want to send Hoggie back to rescue. We love him so much! We've been planning all sorts of reconfiguration of C&Cs to be able to keep him and get him a new friend of this doesn't work out!

Honestly it all sounds perfectly normal.
Bear in mind that there are several relationships to be reconfigured here, and the pee spraying and drama is all part of it.
The occasional scuffle when one or the other gets tired is also pretty standard.
Hoggie will settle down over time and the girls will become more confident about telling him they have had enough.

Good luck but it all sounds pretty promising so far.

Oh this has really made me smile! Our husboar Merry came to live with my two girls a few years ago and we went through bonding almost exactly the same as you have described. They went on to live happily as a trio for almost four years until we lost Pepper last week. You've brought back some great memories for me 🙂 Sending you good luck but I think it'll all be fine.

Oh this has really made me smile! Our husboar Merry came to live with my two girls a few years ago and we went through bonding almost exactly the same as you have described. They went on to live happily as a trio for almost four years until we lost Pepper last week. You've brought back some great memories for me 🙂 Sending you good luck but I think it'll all be fine.
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about Pepper 😪 They bring us such joy don't they? But so hard to lose them.

That's really encouraging that your trio were happy and glad to have made you smile 🙂

Honestly it all sounds perfectly normal.
Bear in mind that there are several relationships to be reconfigured here, and the pee spraying and drama is all part of it.
The occasional scuffle when one or the other gets tired is also pretty standard.
Hoggie will settle down over time and the girls will become more confident about telling him they have had enough.

Good luck but it all sounds pretty promising so far.
Thank you! Sophie has just tried the pee spraying thing too. It's a delight isn't it! 🤣

My Stanley was like that when he was introduced to the 4 girls, they told him in no uncertain terms that he could keep his mucky paws to himself, he soon settled down and they all lived happily together.

My Stanley was like that when he was introduced to the 4 girls, they told him in no uncertain terms that he could keep his mucky paws to himself, he soon settled down and they all lived happily together.

Ah that's good to know! Thank you! 3 hours in and the girls are being a little more firm with him. They all seem more settled now so fingers crossed!

This is once they settled, I'd lost a couple by then, this was the stable trio, Stanley was the left pig with his wifeys Luna (ginger) and Stella (tri coloured), all long gone sadly.
WP_20170501_11_31_13_Pro (2).webp

This is once they settled, I'd lost a couple by then, this was the stable trio, Stanley was the left pig with his wifeys Luna (ginger) and Stella (tri coloured), all long gone sadly.
View attachment 223858

Aw. All so beautiful. Luna looks like one of my old girls, Sheldon, who we sadly lost last year.

Hopefully these three will all settle together nicely. 🤞

Just an update for you! The 3 of them have really settled down now...the testosterone smell has subsided and Hoggie is spending more time popcorning about his new life than he is trying to seduce the girls!

They all seem super happy. They're in a 2x8 c&c with a double sized hayloft with 2 exit ramps which seems to be giving them plenty of space to be apart but they are choosing mostly to be together! Sometimes the girls will curl up for naps as a pair but sometimes Hoggie will join one or the other for a sleep which they seem very content with. ❤️ I'm over the moon it's going so well and we get to keep handsome Hoggie!

Here's a pic of them all awaiting their hay top up in their loft this morning! Hoggie is the multicoloured chap, Sophie the cream and Dorothy the grey and white.

Thanks for always being here with advice! I've learned soooooo much from you all!

Attachments

• 20230507_095006.webp
    20230507_095006.webp
    101.9 KB · Views: 11
Glad all has gone well for you.

When Micah first met his wives he was so excited he didn’t know whether to rumble, strut his stuff ( missing ) or hump so he was trying to do everything!

It still gets loud and chaotic if somepig is in season.

Back