Hiding Nails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celliott215

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,
I have 3 female pigs. I have successfully cut their nails a couple times, but had been very difficult. During nail cutting time, they lay down which hides their nails. I try to move them, a little to expose the nail but they don't alow it. I have to wait until they stick their leg out which is very rare. They also down enjoy me holding their feet for too long. Is there anything I can do to keep their nails exposed long enough for me to be able to clip them?

Is it possible for somebody to hold them for you so you can cut their nails? Having them lay down is making it very difficult for yourself.

I'm slowly trying to get my younger girls used to putting their paws on my fingers then I can snip the nails while they are there. My older girls (Mavis and Dory) are not used to having their nail done regularly and have to be wrapped gently in a towel so that it can be done quickly and with minimal stress. They are getting better and I try to keep is as stress free as possible for everyone.

Is it possible for somebody to hold them for you so you can cut their nails? Having them lay down is making it very difficult for yourself.
Yes asking someone to hold the piggy is a good idea and towel wrapping can work too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back