Hideout positions?

Guineananny

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Morning,
Quick question we’ve had our piggies since Saturday and after reading info on here I’ve swapped out our pigloo type hideouts for wooden ones with two doors in (we also have a tunnel and a corner fleece corner hideout)My question is about where to position them in the cage? Is it okay to have entrances facing each other or is it best to have them so that they can’t see each other when inside? Should say that they were cage mates but not bonded and seem to be doing normal working things out stuff. They have napped together, eaten together, followed each other, licked ears etc… but the dominant one does still kick out the other one sometimes and there are some lettuce disagreements but nothing that concerns me. They are sows 10 and 11 weeks old.
Thank you

There’s no ‘rules’ on positioning in this situation. Its more about what works for them and how you can make things fit and still provide plenty of open space for zoomies - for some piggies having them side by side so they can’t see each other when inside would work best and to give them their own bit of space, others won’t mind.
I personally position my hides in both ways. I primarily use bendy log bridges which are placed side by side in a couple of areas so they can’t see each other, but i also have an Elmato three door hide which sits to the middle of one side.

If they were cage mates living with other piggies, then there would have been a bond and group hierarchy already between them but now they are together as a pair they will be re-establishing their relationship as a pair. What you are seeing is very normal though.

Here’s what is working for me - separate and secluded hideaways and a communal area with zoomie space! They use it all and sometimes I find them sharing the same hide together, but that’s the exception rather than the norm 🙄🤣. Sometimes I put in two brown paper bags stuffed with hay and they enjoy those. I take them out when I’m leaving them tho, because - well I’m paranoid 🤣🤣

Attachments

• 6C1721BF-3A1C-4ED1-89DB-15C93C96A845.webp
    6C1721BF-3A1C-4ED1-89DB-15C93C96A845.webp
    85.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 929D6A7D-9F48-4DFD-A1B2-AF4D6142BF21.webp
    929D6A7D-9F48-4DFD-A1B2-AF4D6142BF21.webp
    176.6 KB · Views: 18
  • AFF25B9B-4844-4EC1-9F30-4770D0D8CAD8.webp
    AFF25B9B-4844-4EC1-9F30-4770D0D8CAD8.webp
    166.8 KB · Views: 18
Aww, piggies are cute, love the liners!
We have the same cage as you! Where did you get the unit underneath? We have a stand at the moment but this looks sturdier!

Aww, piggies are cute, love the liners!
We have the same cage as you! Where did you get the unit underneath? We have a stand at the moment but this looks sturdier!
They are two Kallex units from IKEA. Yes they are sturdy and easy to slide out on the tiles to clean down the back.

:agr:
If the piggies don't like where you put something, unless it's attached, they'll move it where they want. My girls move their bendy bridges, their bowls, their liners (they like to hide the poo under the corners, and Lexa loves the velour towel ... if she figures out it's in there; I'm fine with it, since they stay on top and I know where to find the poo to clean it up, :xd:)

Back