• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hibiscrub advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valdansam

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
HI just wondered if anyone as any advice on how to use this post operation wound is looking a bit yuk! Been back to vets and have more antibiotics and hibiscrub, labels say use hibiscrub as directed ! Do I dilute? Surgery closed till morning so can't ring for advice and I would like to give it a clean tonight if at all possible . Thanks in advance

From what I know, Hibiscrub should not be used on open wounds. It is usually used as an antiseptic to wash and sterilise hands before operating and in hospitals and vets in order to prevent spreading infection. Is the wound open? Did your vet tell you to use it directly on the wound?

HI Claire thanks for answering the wound is mostly scabbed over with a red sore bit at the end , got s stitches out last Wed. Advice was to wash wound twice a day but she never said if I was to dilute the lotion, last thing I want to do is make it any worse for the wee man

DILUTE!! I think it's a ratio of 1:4 hibiscrub to water but don't quote me on that. Whatever you do, don't use it neat. It's ok to use on wounds but it MUST be diluted. Personally I'd use warm salt water on a wound.

Thanks Mackers I pleased I checked before doing anything! I will find out ratio for sure before I do anything, phew it's hard work when they are ill!

Can be used of open wounds but MUST be diluted! I use it for dogs but would say that Guineas would need to be even more diluted!

Thanks so much, can't believe they didn't just mark it on the label, what numpties!

They probably just assume you knowmallethead. All I know is that you need a tiny bit compared to the amount of water used. Hope the wound heals nicely.

Thank you Claire and Mackers I will ring today and find exact ratio

Checked our bottle we had for Cookie's wound when she had fungal and it said dilute to 1:20 parts. Always best to check with your vet though. Hope it helps clear their scab up.

Thanks I phoned and they are still pretty vague, just said approx cap full in a jug of water so it goes foamy, s,he seems to think I can't go wrong ! Wish me luck ha ha , thanks for all your advice it's much appreciated

Bit late but I was told to use 500ml or water with a capful. The cap can probably hold about 10 - 15ml. And that didn't smell strong but you could tell it kept the area clean/put off curious pigs cos Noah left his scabs well alone. Used it when he had scabs on his back from nibbling himself from mites, poor chubber.

Oh poor thing! I wish it would keep Giddy off his wound but he keeps having a nibble! I'm starting to doubt if he will ever heal, he has had the abscess cleaned out three times had loads of antibiotics and surgery to remove infected area but still infection keeps coming I am at my wits end :-(

Does anyone have any advise regarding stopping a piggie nibbling at a wound, this infection is never going to go while he can get to it for a good old nibble @)

When mine had ops on abscesses I used a saline solution (1 teaspoon of salt to a pint of warm previously boiled water) I used that with a cotton bud gently dripped the solution on to it, then cleaned gently, not rubbed in.

What antibiotic is he on? The best one is Zithro-max for skin related issues, it works very well & heals the wound quickly. :)

Thank you, he has been on Baytrill from the start, I'm so disappointed in my vet and I am considering moving to a new one, I've mentioned twice about trying a different antibiotic but they same very very reluctant to try another.......so frustrating !!

Back to the vets today! We are getting no where fast, does anyone know what else the vet could try? I'm worried we are running out of options :-(

I have found the best results with guineas for anything slightly out of the ordinary from seeing an exotics vet with a interest in small mammals, it might be worth asking for a referral or finding one local to you.

Hibiscrub is ok but very harsh on the skin especially if used over a long period of time. Eventually it can cause irritation so I would check with your vets exactly how long they want you to use it for. It will only get rid of surface bacteria really, if your guinea has an internal infection then antibiotics would be the thing to address that. I have been give Baytril before for 2 or 3 weeks by the exotics vet for a stubborn infection, I know if seems a long time but it worked for us. If the wound is infected & not responding to antibiotics then your vet could take a swab of the wound for culture to find out which antibiotic would work best on it.

Hope the vet can suggest something.

Best wishes,

shiny

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back