Hi, New member needs some advice please!

• Thread starter Thread starter julia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

julia

Hi, I am the owner of two beautiful boys called scooby and shaggy. I have had them 2 weeks now and they are 8 weeks old. I just wanted to know if I am doing everything right as I got them from a farm thrust into my arms in a box! no instructions (if there is such a thing!) never had piggies before. Basically they are brothers and seem to be getting on fine so far. I am feeding them once a day with dried food and once with veg (broccoli, carrot, spinach and cucumber + occasional apple) I also give fresh water every day and fresh hay every couple of days. I have been handling them twice a day, but only for short periods. The white one, shaggy seems really happy will snuggle into my neck and take food from me but the brown one growls if I try to stroke him, hides his head and will not take food. I am frightened that I am doing something wrong. Advice appreciated, thanks very much. (PS they also go into their run if it is not raining)

You are doing fine, i always give hay everyday though, yes they can go in the run on dry days, make sure nthe grass isnt wet though, post pigtures of them if you can :)

Hmmm well it's rare but some piggies don't enjoy being handled. Or maybe he just needs a little more handling to get used to being handled and to let him know he's not going to get away with not being handled :p heehee
Heres a few more foods to try for your gorgeous guineas too
kale tomato (not the seeds inside), cauliflower leaves, grapes (just try 1 or 2 to begin with see if they like them) green and/or red pepper, and parsley :) You might find that some of the veggies are quite a hit with piggies heeeheee I know ours absolutly LOVE spinach and parsley heehee

And your not doing anything wrong, infact your doing just fine, what dried food do you feed them on?

hay should be available all the time in fact my greedy little pigs get it topped twice daily food i also top up so they just take what they want, water fresh daily veggies daily do not let them eat too much grass first time as it causes bloat ( gas) and it can be fatel, as long as thye are warm dry and comfy they will both grow to love you the shy one might be the quiter of the two leaving his brother to be boss pig, good luck any problems just ask

Thank you so much for all your advice will get some decent pictures and the dry food is Guinea pig food with carrot and vit C (from Tesco) Bye for now xx

Hi welcome to the forum :) 1000th member! :D ;D :D

Bev x x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back