Helping New Piggies To Settle In?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GinaG

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Have my 2 rescue piggies home, they've been in a loveing foster home for a month, living outdoors, they are living inside with me, we got them this afternoon and they understandably seem very nervous. I've not seen them eat or drink at yet, I offered them cucumber when I put them in their cage but they didn't want it. How do I help relax them? They have lots of places to hide in their cage, I've handled them only to get them in their cage and have offered them fresh veggies, they have hay and water in their cage. They just seem so nervous bless them, just staying in one place, not squeaking etc. I've attached my view of them right now!

IMG_7611.webp

Hi and welcome!

You may find our detailed settling in and interacting tips in our information bundle for new owners helpful - much more comprehensive than I can pack into one post!
" Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners

Please don't worry about them not eating and drinking at first; that is pretty normal. They will likely come out when it is quiet and dark - after all they are prey animals in what to them is potentially hostile territory. You can help creating a "hutch feel" by placing a blanket over the op and three sides to help encourage them out.
Just leave them be until they have got their bearings in their new surroundings, which will hopefully be in a couple of day or so. I would recommend to create certain daily routines with appropriate calls etc. (be aware that guinea pigs listen more to the tone and melodies than to the words) to give structure to their world and to help them brace for what is coming and then anticipate it.

If they have been kept outside it may take a while for them to get used to household noise.Put food next to their hideys so they can get it easily

AWWW. AWW. AWWWWWW. Those eyes! Our boys took hours to first come out of their hidey, now they stand on their hind feet for food and wheek loudly at lunchtime. Aren't piggies just such sausages?

Aww what a lovely update!

I always find that even the most shy of piggies tend to respond well to patience and bribery (cucumber).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back