Help

Sam & Dave

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello I'm new to the site and in need for help please me and the wife have got our daughter 2 guinea pigs for her birthday now we thought like a lot of people no doubt it wouldn't be a problem being so small we was mistaken their is a lot to take on as we have been finding out now the breeders was a wrongon we have ended up with Vet bills that high so been looking at insurance and finding hard to navigate because it's not like Cat and dogs so was wondering how much it should be for each guinea and who are the best instructors to try thank you for help

Hello and welcome to the forum. I’m so sorry you are finding out that piggies are not the cheap pets they are made out to be. Last year I had to spend over £1,700 on my two boys.

I’ve linked in some information you may find helpful below. There is a link on message 2.

Guinea pig insurance

We are always here to give friendly advice, chat to and we also have fun too. Good luck. I hope your piggies are on the mend soon.

Welcome to the forum.
I’m sorry you are in this situation.

We don’t have multiple insurance options in the Uk. There is only one insurer of piggies - Exotic Direct. However they are probably not going to insure for existing medical conditions.

Below is a collection of guides for new owners - it explains feeding, appropriate cage sizes etc. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have

New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection

Welcome to the forum.
I’m sorry you are in this situation.

We don’t have multiple insurance options in the Uk. There is only one insurer of piggies - Exotic Direct. However they are probably not going to insure for existing medical conditions.

Below is a collection of guides for new owners - it explains feeding, appropriate cage sizes etc. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have

New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection
Thank you

Hello and welcome to the forum. I’m so sorry you are finding out that piggies are not the cheap pets they are made out to be. Last year I had to spend over £1,700 on my two boys.

I’ve linked in some information you may find helpful below. There is a link on message 2.

Guinea pig insurance

We are always here to give friendly advice, chat to and we also have fun too. Good luck. I hope your piggies are on the mend soon.
Thank you

Are you happy enough with your vet? You could always shop around and see what the options are in your area. I once asked my vet about insurance and they were like "it's not worth it" - and at the prices they charge to treat guinea pigs, it really isn't. They clearly subsidise the care of the smaller animals, and they're very knowledgeable as well, so it's not a case of you get what you pay for either.

I realise we're very lucky, but it's work looking at your options.

Welcome to the forum.
I have a vet fund that I put money into regularly to cover the expensive vet bills.
So sorry that you’re dealing with this situation.
You will find plenty of information and support here.
Welcome to the forum

Back